Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Car Sold! :( :( :( :( or.... :) :) :) time to get a coupe!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:36 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you know exactly what you have with your current car. You don't know what you are going to get with any other 911. Your current car is probably about as nice as 911s get, and no doubt reliable. Remember that very few people rely on their 911s as daily drivers, so for them, maintenance is optional.

I would be cautious if I were you. A bad Porsche could put you into a cheap Toyota real fast, and no money to play with. I recently sold my 81 euro, and I am Darned Sorry about it now.

I had a wife pushing me. What did you say your motivation was ? I think when things get too easy, it is easy to think that it will always be so. You have gold. Make sure you don't trade it for magic beans.

BTW, I am still sulking, but the money is in the bank.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:03 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Oshin: You were originally selling your 911 so you could get a 993. Now you've realized the 993 is too expensive, but you probably still have the "new car" bug. Sometimes we get bored with the ones we have, even if we like them a great deal. Kind of seems like maybe that's what's going on since you are now looking at older cars.

There is merit to selling and getting a different car - newer or older. It can spark new enthusiasm. It's a new toy!

Regarding the yellow 76: It is a looker. But... I have an 84 VW Cabriolet with a Scirocco engine and multiple other Scirocco parts from various years. It is a nightmare to work on. I never know what is OE and what's been swapped out. The car is a freakin rocket and the modified suspension makes it a blast. But when it breaks down... open up the bank account and try not to swear out loud.

If you sell your 911 you don't have to replace it with another 911 right away. I bought a junker Honda to drive while I was looking. That allowed me time to search for the right car. And the Honda became a daily driver. It gets 37mpg. Just a thought.

Daniel: I also sold a car that I didn't want to. But one thing I learned... no matter how great the car is, it's still just metal and rubber. It can be replaced. There's always a better car out there
Old 11-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oshin, sorry I couldn't talk yesterday, I am in Tulsa, Oklahoma for a couple days, and well, what a hot looking car! do I approve of the sale of your '87? NO! but It's done and over and I would have had a very hard time passing on the Yellow baby. Go see the car, It could be in great shape. We have a shop here that does that motor swap all the time. The guys that do it are really good at it. It's the best of both worlds. The 3.2 that Svaha just sold for $6,000 went into a pristine long hood, so it is being done and it is well liked. The board may not have a frankinporsche forum, but you can still hang out here. The tub is still Porsche, the 3.2 is still a 3.2. Go see the car and call me. Oh, and by the way, get to class...
Old 11-26-2007, 11:09 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oshin11
I am kinda scared, I read my 911 buyers guide and it seems 1976 was a huge problematic year for the 911. Also since its mated with an 83 SC engine, who knows what problems it can have....
I thought the major issue in 76 was the 2.7L engine and the thermal reactors. Since it's got an 83 engine you aren't getting those problems. But the 83 still had the head stud issue (is that right?). And it didn't have the new Carerra chain tensioners. Maybe those upgrades have been done. Can you find out?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carrera chain tensioners HAVE been done, but I just found out that the engine has a little under 200K miles on it, not for me. 13K for a frankenstein which will need a rebuild soon = nightmare.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Ugh I hate paying tax on a new car....I may just call that fellow and tell him the car is not for sale.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:06 PM
DARISC
Racer

Don't be too quick to judge a Porsche engine solely on the miles it has on it. Mine has gone 198k with no work except having mildly pitted cams reground (not uncommon for SCs), leak down tests 5%-7% (the factory limit was 10% max), no smoke, blue or white, ever, and I don't have to add any oil between 5k mile oil changes. Mine did come w/Mahle P/Cs (not all did) which may be significant.

Mine's not an exception for a properly maintained engine as a number of other SC owners on this board will attest to. Pretty amazing quality, these old Porsches.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Now I'm really lost. Did you sell it or not? Sometimes you make me crazy. I figured he had cash and you had a porsche one minute, and the next you had cash and he had a porsche. What did I miss? Did you sell it or not. Do you have cash, or do you have Porsche? Did he give you a deposite? Anyway, I'm going to Oklahoma City to see the memorial.

KEEP THE CAR!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Doug, he will be picking it up on wednesday, so I still have the car as of this moment.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:30 PM
DARISC
Racer

Doug, he will be picking it up on wednesday, so I still have the car as of this moment.
Keep it. Paint it yellow.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

haha, my paint is quite nice, i would never mutilate a perfect stock 911 like that
Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

haha, my paint is quite nice, i would never mutilate a perfect stock 911 like that
Park in a WalMart parking lot and it won't be perfect anymore. Then you have an excuse to get it painted.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Yea but then I would be out 4 grand, not so fun. I figure if I buy the yellow frankenporsche, even if things start to break I have a 6 grand cushion until I get to the point of what I paid for my Carrera 3.2
Old 11-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Some pics that show a few flaws, I found out that its only the wide body conversion, the yellow paint, and the 3.0 motor that are not original on the car. The tranny is the original with 232K miles! I was astonished! "Car" has about 232K miles, engine has (been told) about 100K miles since rebuild, and god knows how many miles before the rebuild. I noticed the leaky valve covers, and he said his mechanic was going to do a valve adjust soon but that it was done 3K miles ago. He was surprised that I spotted so many things "I didn't notice all these things when I bought the car, you seem sharp" yay for me. Anyways I still think 13K is not a bad price for the car. Here are some pics. Let me know what you think. He said if I dont buy it he'll just keep it, which is what I always say too haha.
Attached Images        
Old 11-27-2007, 12:12 AM
DARISC
Racer

It's not clear to me why you're getting rid of the car you have, which you seem to have sorted out and like, and are looking to buy another old Porsche.

Quick Reply: Car Sold! :( :( :( :( or.... :) :) :) time to get a coupe!