Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What color is this? (spotted at the Rennlist MD/VA/DC Drive 'n Dine last weekend)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Sharkdad
Praetorian Guard
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What color is this? (spotted at the Rennlist MD/VA/DC Drive 'n Dine last weekend)

Hope you don't mind a 928er over here, but I'm in lust with a car that was at the Rennlist MD/VA/DC GTG this past weekend. I haven't been able to figure a way to get the photo small enough to post it here. However, here is a link to photos that someone was good enough to post: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...=104766&page=2

About halfway down the photos, there's a blue Whaletail (VA Tags - MNIACAL) that looks amazing. Anyone know if this is Slate blue, Venetian blue or something else? It was parked next to the green #7 912 racer. Looks like the Fuchs are also painted body color.

Onboost was kind enough to reply to this in another thread and suggested it might be Prussian blue...

Thanks much,
Eric

'91 928GT

Last edited by Sharkdad; 11-20-2007 at 11:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

is it this one?
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Sharkdad
Praetorian Guard
Rennlist Member

http://tonyp.smugmug.com/gallery/385...22907161/Large

This is the one I was referring to (found a small enough photo to post). Can't tell if it's the same blue as your Venetian Blue cab, Douglas. Was hoping someone might know this car. I haven't seen Venetian or Slate in person to be able to tell them apart.
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2007, 12:38 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

sharkdad, I just saw your location. I was on the other side of the river in fredericksburg back in '86-'88 just after high school. Gotta love culpeper, spots, orange, madison.

back to the color. I was in the Performance Products parking lot when a guy walked up to me and said he had the same blue for 15 years. He went on and on about slate blue.....well, sorry it's ven blu met. No he insisted it was slate blue. I had to show him the tag in the trunk and he almost didn't believe me then. I say its ven.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 11-21-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:00 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 928 that color last year when I lived near Winchester, VA. Did you come to my timing belt party where we changed 4 belts in one day (almost)?
Old 11-21-2007, 03:18 AM
Jessterlh
Track Day

My question is whats with the nice looking dual exhaust on the car in question, you get a great look in the pic with the "MNIACAL" license plate from the link. Nice update. Love to see what it looks like underneath
Based on the pics I'd agree with Douglas that its Ven Blue
Old 11-21-2007, 03:32 AM
Jessterlh
Track Day

There is an SC with "zero h2o" plates in the link that looks a couple shades lighter. Could this be "slate blue"
also
Not to add to the confusion but the car below was described as "prussian blue"
Attachment 234038

Last edited by Jessterlh; 12-26-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Hooverwi
Instructor

Well - that Zero H20 car might be Iris Blue - or a shade lighter - there are 2 blues very close - I've attached a pic of my car that is Iris blue. Can't answer on the Slate or Venetian question - although I have some older sales lit at home with color charts - I'll see if I can take a look over the holiday weekend and hopefully post w/ a better answer...........
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2007, 10:58 AM
mniba1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jessterlh
There is an SC with "zero h2o" plates in the link that looks a couple shades lighter. Could this be "slate blue"
also
Not to add to the confusion but the car below was described as "prussian blue"
Attachment 234038
It is Metallic Prussian Blue
Old 11-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Sharkdad
Praetorian Guard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by douglas bray
sharkdad, I just saw your location. I was on the other side of the river in fredericksburg back in '86-'88 just after high school. Gotta love culpeper, spots, orange, madison.
This really is a great area. However, don't know when you were last in the area -- doubt you'd recognize it with all of the development.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Sharkdad
Praetorian Guard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LaughaC
I had a 928 that color last year when I lived near Winchester, VA. Did you come to my timing belt party where we changed 4 belts in one day (almost)?
Chris,

Sounds like I missed out on a good time. I just joined the 928 family in July, but would have liked to see the cars and get my hands dirty.

I coincidentally was at the hotel where many of the guys were staying for Frenzy this year. Seeing twentysome 928s together in a parking lot was a slice of heaven. Met Wayne, Wayne, Michael, Ernest, etc., who inspired me to join 928OC and Rennlist.

Based on that experience, hoping to make SITM this June.

- Eric
Old 11-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Sharkdad
Praetorian Guard
Rennlist Member

Getting back on topic, anyone know who drives "MNIACAL"? In addition to the color, I'm intrigued by practically everything about the car.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 11-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Eric, make sure you get hooked up w/ the dorki crowd as well - post here and someone will know that car...

www.dorkiphus.net

Also, interesting factoid for you folks, the green 912 that was in the pics was the same driven by Robert Redford in the movie Spy Game.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:54 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

The light blue one looks like iris blue - the carrera - looks like an 84 or 85

looks like petrol blue (or not)

Here's prussian - it's darker

Venetian Blue

Slate Blue

Pacific Blue

maybe " shieferblaumetallic"
Old 11-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Sharkdad, I was there in '92 and it had already started the change. People were already daily driving from spotsylvania to inside the beltway. I lived in several small towns out there that I'm sure aint so small anymore. Culpeper and Rolling Valley/Burke would be my best memories. I want to someday get my car dropped off in West Palm Beach, at my uncles and drive it all the way to Southampton, Long Island in the spring. Then get it shipped back home. I'm sure I could get a fiew Rennlisters to tag along.

Quick Reply: What color is this? (spotted at the Rennlist MD/VA/DC Drive 'n Dine last weekend)