Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What is an ///M5

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 02:15 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We went from my getting spanked on the freeway to Shannon and David sharing an other worldly astro projection metaphysical 25" obsession telescope that is sorta Porsche related love fest 'cause a trailer is involved. I really thought when I logged on we were haveing a bar fight, but I agree the Miata is a great little car when the proper V8 is inserted, and the BMW's hold a place in my heart thanks to a dealer that lived in Burke, VA back in '88.

It would be really fun to play God right now and close the thread.....but I'm really curious to look back and see how Shannon knew about David's 25" Obsession...now I get it, don't understand it, but iI see it.

EDIT: Autobonrun, It was a brand new car ("paper plates" is slang for no tags, or the dealers plate)

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 11-22-2007 at 02:24 AM. Reason: add on
Old 11-22-2007, 03:21 AM
madmmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DARISC
For me personally a sports car is a two seater, smaller, lower and lighter than a passenger sedan or coupe,
I guess by that, a 911 with the 2 rear seats does not qualify to be a sports car...dang, all this time I thought I had a pretty good sports car.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:02 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madmmac
I guess by that, a 911 with the 2 rear seats does not qualify to be a sports car...dang, all this time I thought I had a pretty good sports car.
I solved that problem by taking the backs of my rear seats out. Besides, they are "jump seats" not real seats.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:32 AM
michel944
Pro

Originally Posted by DARISC
It aint all about power; it's about balance and handling, feeling integrated with a machine that feels like it's responding almost "neurologically" to your inputs and communicating with you. You think that all the guys with 911Ts are in love with them because they're so powerful? Nope, big power is easy - all it takes is money. Designing and building a car that feels and responds like it's an extension of its driver is a whole other thing - and that aint easy.
And that's why I like the 944 so much, slow acceleration but so efficient in the twisties and at high speed travelling !
Old 11-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I would love to remove the back of the back seats but with kids always in tow, that ain't gonna happen. Then you add in the fact that my tortion bars and Bilsteins are 20 years old, and rear sway bar still isn't fixed, and I have one soft ride hardly what I expected out of a Porsche. It's great for long drives with the wife, but body roll is bad. I need to start a 12 step program for transforming my soft ride into one, let's say, a notch or two stiffer than stock so if I ever roll up on an M5 on a twisty road I can introduce him to my dust. As it is just punching th gas in second squats the rear two inches and raises the front an inch. It's a major attitude change. What to do?
Old 11-22-2007, 12:05 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by michel944
And that's why I like the 944 so much, slow acceleration but so efficient in the twisties and at high speed travelling !
It's hard to beat an engine in the front and a tranny in the rear. I've heard the 944 and 928 have almost "perfect balance." Though I love the appearance and legacy of the 911, I have to admit I'm still trying to deal with the weight distribution issues.

You've got it made with the 944. I'd hang on to that baby!

You just don't need power in the twisties. I think smoothness is the key.

Live by the BMW Z3 moto:
Happiness isn't around the corner...
... it is the corner.
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2007, 12:08 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by douglas bray
my tortion bars and Bilsteins are 20 years old, and rear sway bar still isn't fixed, and I have one soft ride hardly what I expected out of a Porsche. ... but body roll is bad. I need to start a 12 step program for transforming my soft ride into one, let's say, a notch or two stiffer than stock
You and I need to talk. I'm facing the same issues. I'm looking at new shocks and some other suspension upgrades. Time to start a wish list. I really can't stand having a Miata or Z4 outrunning me in the curves! I may be a woman, but I have my pride
Old 11-22-2007, 12:20 PM
DARISC
Racer

Originally Posted by madmmac
HAHA! I was waiting for someone to point that out. I think there is some obscure reason why Ferdinand put those back there - can't remember though.

Happy Turkey Day all!
Old 11-22-2007, 12:30 PM
DARISC
Racer

Originally Posted by 911vet
You and I need to talk. I'm facing the same issues. I'm looking at new shocks and some other suspension upgrades. Time to start a wish list. I really can't stand having a Miata or Z4 outrunning me in the curves! I may be a woman, but I have my pride
I have Bilstein Sports all around. Some recommend HDs in front but Sports really aren't all that stiff (hey, it's a sports car!). With 26mm t bars in back, stock t bars and a strut bar up front, I'm real pleased.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Do we have a suspention guru in the house? I bet some of the A/X guys or race guys could put together a program to build a "do it yourself" suspention system at $300 per month. It could be called "Bars, Bushings, and Bilsteins on a Budget" Now that was funny...Shannon, can you work on this for me?
Old 11-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Jitters
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, and the M5 can outrun even a hopped up bike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3zOKHNkv-4

Now this was just down right hilarious...

Thanks for lightening up this post...

Jitters
Old 11-22-2007, 02:34 PM
DARISC
Racer

Originally Posted by Jitters
Oh, and the M5 can outrun even a hopped up bike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3zOKHNkv-4

Now this was just down right hilarious...

Thanks for lightening up this post...

Jitters
That is not the least bit funny!

That biker had just planted an i.e.d. and was in a panic trying to get away.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:13 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Do we have a suspention guru in the house? I bet some of the A/X guys or race guys could put together a program to build a "do it yourself" suspention system at $300 per month. It could be called "Bars, Bushings, and Bilsteins on a Budget" Now that was funny...Shannon, can you work on this for me?
Will do. I'm going to put together a new thread to get advice on this very subject.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:44 PM
dsmith
Racer

Originally Posted by 911vet
Will do. I'm going to put together a new thread to get advice on this very subject.
A search on here and Pelican will probably be sufficient. Or just go here and start picking:

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...iondiagram.htm

I added it all up. About $5200.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Mr. Smith I love it! That is so much better than just randomly slapping pars togeather. I think you have shown me something new to obsess over. It's still gotta be done with my lunch money so wife doesn't find out. I can hide $100 bills by blaming the kids, but an invoice for $3,800 shows up and its Ricky calling "Lucy, you got sum splainin' todo!"

Quick Reply: What is an ///M5