Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Installed new shocks and now have "knock" sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Joel Lester
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed new shocks and now have "knock" sound

I just installed new Bilstein sport shocks, front and rear, on my 86 coupe. After taking it out for a test drive I noticed right away something wasn't quite right. There was a knocking sound everytime I hit a bump. It seemed to be coming from the driver side front. So, I took her home and lifted her back up and re-looked at the suspected new shock insert. It was a tad loose - meaning that the dust collar that screws down onto the strut tube was tight but the new insert could move up and down about an 1/8 inch. Thus the culptrit for the knocking sound. I tried to tighten and retight that collar but no mater what I just can't seem to get that "play" out of it? HELP!

To try ansewer any potential questions... I have Borge struts and bought the Bilstein inserts (which I believe are the correct ones). Two of those dust collars were included with the shocks but I'm only using one - I hope that is the correct thing to do?

Anyway... do you guys have any advice? Is this a common problem? Is the shock insert broken or...

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Joel
Old 11-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My first thought was broken rear sway bar mount, but I'll go with the inserts. Everyone really pounds on using as a replacement, what ever came from the factory. IE: if it came with Bilstein, replace with Bilstein. You mave have the insert problem on your hands. Sound like you have that figured out. Try a different insert.....
Old 11-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Joel Lester
Intermediate

Thanks! Can Pelican be responsible? That's were I got them.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

sorry I was taking a nap (I'm 40) I would think that if you already installed and drove on them that you own them for good now. I think Pelican can help you get the proper inserts to make it work. I would definatly prefer the bilstein and was really glad to find them on my car. I bet a call to Steve Weiner would solve this problem. He stocks lots of race equipment and has the bilstein's in stock too. You can get his info off any of his posts. careful though, he will talk your ear off and is very helpful.

good luck,
Old 11-18-2007, 12:00 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't fully understand where the movement is but could it be worn mounts at the top of the shock? It almost sounds like something is not assembled correctly.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:19 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a pro will jump in, but from my experience, if the shock insert has 1/8" play "up & down" (assuming that you have the correct insert), then the nut at the top of the insert shaft must not be tightened down enough. Maybe it was initially, but after driving and settling everthing in, I would assume it's loosened up thus giving you the movement. Do you have an impact wrench? That's one of the few place on my car where I'll use one. Hope this helps...

ps: Initially, on one pair of Bilsteins, I had one shaft that only protruded enough for the nut to be flush with the top of the shaft...drove her a few miles, and then secured the nut down the 1/2" or so that is normal.

pps: Take a look at the length of the shaft above the nut on each side, are they equal, or is one 1/8" less?

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 11-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Joel Lester
Intermediate

Thanks guys!

Both nuts on top of the shock towers have the same amont of bolt showing and I have tried to re-tighten everything. I guess that is why this whole thing is so perpelxing! The play seems to be from the bottom of the insert not being in contact with the bottom of the inside of the strut tube. I can push down on the front bumper and recreate the sond quite easily.

Any other ideas?

I will try to contact Steve tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:45 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joel Lester
...Any other ideas?

I will try to contact Steve tomorrow.
Can't go wrong there, or since I noticed your location, another highly regarded Porsche guru that you're probably already familiar with:

john walker's workshop
7613 greenwood ave. n.
seattle, wa, 98103
206.789.6800 jwworkshop@aol.com

Good luck, and let us know what it turns out to be...

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 11-19-2007, 12:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,135 Likes on 811 Posts

I did this a litle while ago and it was straight forward. The problem as you say is too much play in the stut nut . Did you get the special tool to tighten the strut nut that came with your new shock inserts ? You could have binding in the threads as it may have been exposed further down the strut body and you think it is tight. You may have to remove the strut , take the strut nut back off and check for bindig, tryint yo just turn it tighter without doing this can only tun to misery.
You also may want to check the distances on the good side for comparison.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Installed new shocks and now have "knock" sound