Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

clutch... i think

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:58 PM
Mass911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch... i think

My 89 911 carrera was exhibiting some slop in the gear box region for about 3 months.

Nothing to horrible, but alas, I knew something, at sometime was going to give.
The "slop" presented itself as a very short but "late" drive line engagement immediately following acceleration or deceleration.

On the way home the other day, without any noticeable difference in the clutch pedal, the gear box would not engage. The clutch felt perfectly normal, but the gearbox was not happening.

One would think it was a clutch gone bad, but, it doesn’t feel that way.
As of this writing, I haven't had the opportunity to get under the car.
Prior to that exploratory mission I thought I would place a post to se if you guys had any thoughts on the subject.
Maybe just linkage?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:34 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,152 Likes on 825 Posts

Pete is your best bet on this one. he has more experience than the rest of our internet stories put together, he should be rolling out of bed soon.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Huh? What? Did somebody say something? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
Old 11-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most shifting problems can be traced back to shift linkage issues rather than gearbox or clutch problems. The first place i would start looking is the shift coupler (under the plate on the floor of the back seats). There have been a bunch of posts on this subjuct. I would visually check for slop in the bushings. Its a pretty easy fix to replace the coupler. Its a bitch to replace the bushings in the coupler themselves, so I opted for a new coupler and was back in business in about 20-30 minutes. Then you need to look at your shifter bushings. This requires the removal of your gear shift assembly and may or may not be within your scope of DYI. Hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No coupler on the '89, and very little (nothing?) in the linkage that can cause the symptom. I would think that the clutch disc rubber hub might be breaking/broken, and I will "assume" that all of the CV joints are tight! It would be helpful to know the mileage on the car, as well as how much it's used in city vs highway driving...
Old 11-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

opps....I 'll stick to my day job

Quick Reply: clutch... i think