Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

basic service completed - Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default basic service completed - Finally!

I had basically lost interest in the car since last winter. It has sat most of the summer. I could tell it was time to get it back into shape, so I finally had the time/$$ to spend on the service that it needed.

I did the brakes, oil change, valve adjustment, and filters, plugs, rotor, etc.

I had an interesting issue with the LR tire wearing oddly. It turns out that the 4 bolts holding the spring plate to the rest of the suspension were loose enough to let it slip under load!

I had actually lost 1 of the bolts! Luckily my mechanic had what was missing and was able to put it back together well enough to get me on the road again.

Next stop is the tire shop! I love winter projects like this.
+++
Old 11-08-2007, 07:19 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Congrats Dan!
Old 11-09-2007, 11:09 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Cobb
Next stop is the tire shop!
+++
Dan: You should consider www.tirerack.com for tires. I've used them twice now -- once for my parents and once for myself -- and have had very good results. The overall costs were lower than anything a local tire shop could (or would) do.

And, one of the tires I bought for my car was defective -- the car was pulling despite the alignment being perfect. I called Customer Service, and without hesitation they said they'd send out a new tire, which they did, and they paid for the return shipping on the defective tire. I've been very happy with Tire Rack and will use them again in the future.

Scott
Old 11-09-2007, 11:22 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

I just did a basic service as well. Filters, oil, valves, plugs, cap, and rotor......It now goes like a horny dog on steroids chasing a bunny!
Old 11-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I had a problem finding a replacement tire. Apparently the Bridgestone S-03s are no longer available in 225/50-15.
I didn't want to buy a whole new set for one tire that is worn badly, as the other rear is almost brand new. (it was replaced because of damage to the sidewall when the problem tire was still in good condition.)

I was expecting the replacement to be as much as a new set once I found that out, but the local Firestone shop located one in South OC and I'll have it tomorrow.

Total cost for the discontinued tire (mounted and balanced even, is only $69.00!!!!!
I can't believe it!
Alignment (4 wheels of course) is quoted at only $159

Tirerack didn't have the size, nor did any of the other online tire sources.
I sure hate the thought of buying all new tires because of the discontued size/brand that's on there now. I'd rather buy a 16" or 17" wheel/tire package to reduce the chances of having the issue again in a couple of years.
+++

Quick Reply: basic service completed - Finally!