Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

2.7 vs 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 12:36 PM
David0514
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2.7 vs 2.0

A coworker of mine is thinking of buying an old 911. Not sure if 2.0 or 2.7? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both? Also, what are the time periods for these engines? I hear the 2.7 is a problem child unless modified or updated, what are those modifications?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2002, 06:03 PM
davis911s
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David There is way more to it than just the engine. The cars with the 2.0 are different than those with 2.7. The horror stories about the 2.7 are to me unneccesary. It will depend A LOT on where you live. If you live in a warmer climate (CA for EX) than yes there may be problems if the car is run with the thermal reactors still on. Most of these cars have already replaced those. The other "problems" are chain tensioners, pop-off valve, and head studs -the head studs pull due to the heat if the thermals are left on (so I hear)

My 77 has the 2.7 and I have installed the carrera tensioners a pop-off valve and the thermals were replaced long before I bought it. As for my head studs, when the engine was out last year all were good.

The 2.7 to me is a great engine, If I was buying all over again I may have went to a 3.0 just due to the things I have heard, but I would not back away from a 2.7.

The 2.0 cars are really great too, especially if you can find a nice "S car".

Biggest thing is have a PPI done on any car you buy, before you buy, may save big $ in the long run.

Shawn
Old 01-04-2002, 06:07 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Here's a good resource to start with.

Here's a good explanation of the model's evolution.

For a first 911, your friend might want to consider an SC.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:25 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the 2.7 has been rebuilt properly, it should be a very nicely perfoming motor for a long time, but be wary....the key work there is "properly.

The 2.7's were also the beginning of the newer (and timeless, in my opinion) body style, and have a few more creature comforts and refined details.

I agree with Jack's SC opinion, but the 2.7's are usually considerably cheaper due to the potential probs and the rap that goes along with'em. Example: there is a '74 2.7 for sale here with total rebuild on the engine and tranny for about $7000. The interior is a bit rough, but the really major components are totally redone..

An SC would be around $12K minimum for an average one.

From a perfomance standpoint as compared to a 911 2.0, forget it. The 2.7 is very, fast, maybe even quicker than an SC when the additional weight of the newer cars is added in.

Quick Reply: 2.7 vs 2.0