Looked at an 80 911SC this Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:36 PM
jneteler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looked at an 80 911SC this Weekend

Hi everyone,

I don't post too much but do lurk here quite often. Some may recall that my '91 964 was totaled in June. I've started looking for another 911 and am facing some of the market realities here...again. Namely that there is a very limited selection of "affordable" cars with manual transmissions. That means any manual 911 that comes on the market gets my attention.

So Sunday, I looked at this car. The owner explained that he bought the car from an older couple. The old man didn't want to sell but the wife was keen to get rid of it. The car had been sitting for a number of years without use. It allegedly was originally bought new for one of his daughters.

The owner also explained that the car wasn't actually in his name. Having mispent my youth on used car lots , it was easy to spot this guy as a "curbstoner".

First impression is that the paint will need to be redone. The "owner" explained that the car was accident free, all orginal, and had only been repainted once. A cursory inspection indicated that this might actually be true.

It started up just fine and had a nice idle, no missing or roughness. Looking underneath the rear there were no oil leaks on the ground but the engine and transmission were well and truly coated.

The interior was, will let's be polite, visually challenging. Black with gold checks might have been the height of German style back then but now... Also the condition of the fabric was well past its prime. So all the seats would have to reupholstered. No rust under the carpets; body structure looked solid from the inside.

The speedo indicated less than 1000km. Apparently it is a replacement unit but the odometer doesn't work. The old speedometer was supposed to have been replaced at 50,000km. (I have yet to see any used Porsche here with an accurate mileage or a working odometer.)

Another common problem here, is that the vintage is misrepresented by the original importers in order to avoid duties. The age tends to be overstated. I was getting ready to take a picture of the VIN plate and the "owner" decided that he had enough and put the car away as I wasn't serious. Excuse me!

He also stated that he did not believe in PPI's. They always find too much...
Apparently a quick walk around and a short test drive are all that is required to make a buying decision... at least in his mind.

Not looking for any advice on this car but thought you might find the story mildly entertaining.

JNeteler
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

what is a "curbstoner"?
Old 10-29-2007, 02:03 PM
jneteler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curbstoner - a person who acts like a used car dealer but does not own a car lot. Does not have business license. Sells by standing on the curbstone.

JNeteler
Old 10-29-2007, 02:39 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful car. I love this color.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:10 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Doesn't believe in PPI's ? What a knucklehead.

Quick Reply: Looked at an 80 911SC this Weekend