Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A battle of inches

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 03:50 AM
Jessterlh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A battle of inches

Not that I ever expect to call it spacious but I am looking to gain a couple more inches of space for my legs and try to get first gear out from under my right knee. I have power sport seats (I think out of an 84-89 Carrera). Also have the smaller 930 steering wheel and a short shifter, together the only reason I even fit in the car.
Anyone had any luck with either or both;
1) Extending the seat rails back? Available kits or DIY fabrication?
2) Lowering the seats? Seems like it might be a bit of work to change the seat brackets.

Or as an extreme option, recommendations on different seats that might be lower or further back. I would like to say with something that looks it could have originally been found in the car, keeping with the character, but not necessarily historically accurate. No aggressive Recaros or anything.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2007, 06:04 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interested too, would love a couple more inches of head and legroom! After removing the seats and having a good look, I doubt it's possible without a lot of machining.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:14 AM
jester911
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without going to a race type seat getting more headroom is difficult. You more than likely would have to remove the existing seat mounts attached to the floor and then have some new lower ones fabbed and welded in much like happens when going to a full race set up. Moving the seats back would be a bit easier but the main problem with that is reaching the shifter in the forward gears.

To move them back you would need to drill new holes in the seat mounts for the front slider holes. For the back you would need to extend the seat mounts rearward with some sort of reinforced metal to attach the seat rails at that point. If your only going back a couple inches it would not be that difficult.

The threaded nut/block that hold the rear seat rails could be reproduced to be longer and you could probably do it that way.

One other option may be to take some stock seats and remove some of the foam and then have them recovered. None of these options are ideal or all that easy for that matter but it depends on how bad you want it.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:43 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I got a deal on some Carrera sport seats and put them in my 85 cab. I found out that the sports seats sit a little higher than the standard seats. Both seats were set to the lowest setting.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Jerry has it right. You need to cut the factory seat rails off and then weld a structure from the tunnel to the door sill on the floor board. This is not uncommon in race cars. I have this setup in mine. You do get quite a bit of extra room. I'm short - 5' 7" and when I race I have to take off my windshield wipers because they block my view

It's not hard to do either. The only two things to be careful of are how the factory seat belt fits and make sure the welder realizes that the fuel lines are in the tunnel

Quick Reply: A battle of inches