911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

SoCal Fires...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007 | 10:22 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

DARISC, I was worried about you like you were my own brother. I'm grad you are safe and ready to fight another day. I'm going up to Von's to buy the thickest, fatest stake I can find and eat it just for you.
Old 10-27-2007 | 10:43 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DARISC
I look at very few people as "heroes". I feel the word is much too loosley used and should be reserved for the "true" heroes of our world - our firefighters being an unsurpassed example of that class of people. We all owe them so very, very much. Many owe them everything, their lives included. There is no way that we can even approach thanking them enough.
DARISC: +1!

You know, Douglas, you're a helluva guy - I hope it was a Rib Eye!
Old 10-27-2007 | 02:11 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

You can see what happened to Bill's cars (a GT3 RS and a 360 CS) in a thread at 6speed. The picture is incredible. The SC is reduced to an exhaust. Very sad.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...d.php?t=103551
Old 10-27-2007 | 02:36 PM
DARISC
Racer

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
I hope it was a Rib Eye!
Heh,heh - yer a funny guy, Pete!
Old 10-27-2007 | 07:08 PM
red67
Racer

Originally Posted by zicoramone
You can see what happened to Bill's cars (a GT3 RS and a 360 CS) in a thread at 6speed. The picture is incredible. The SC is reduced to an exhaust. Very sad.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...d.php?t=103551
wow, thats so devastating - at least the guy's safe and ok.
he should have evacuated in the GT3RS if he had time.
Old 10-27-2007 | 07:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I think he was on vacation with his family in Hawaii. I remember one of the stories about high end cars being lost to someone totally unaware and in Hawaii. If that is the case at least he has his family a safe distance from the fire.

Pete, my wife had picked up two huge 7 bone roasts totalling 8 pounds and presented them to me after the Porsche was ready to go. It ain't steak, but 1 1/2 hours smothered in BBQ sauce on low on the BBQ and you can't tell. It's $10.00 and can feed all 8 of us. We call it sothern comfort and always serve aspirin with it.
Old 10-27-2007 | 07:45 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Sad....
Old 10-27-2007 | 07:58 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

I think the only positive in all this is that most will have insurance and be covered. I don't see a New Orleans stall out in the rebuilding. It is always good for the local economy when carpenters are building.

But man, it must be tough to lose everything.
Old 10-27-2007 | 08:09 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by red67
he should have evacuated in the GT3RS if he had time.
Yeah...the Porsche didn't melt like the Ferrari
Old 10-27-2007 | 08:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

My mother worked for the EDD for some 25 years and I have had an open SSI case since I was 22 that gave me a real bad opinion of government involvement in private lives. From the very first coverage I saw of New Orleans I saw people demanding that the government take care of them. Blaming someone else for every little thing that was wrong. Pushing, shoving, acting out in despiration like the government had done this to them.
In San Diego we see individuals offering help to others. Orderly and cooperative people reaching out to others even as they loose the homes they live in. I am sure that the people of San Diego will be back to life as normal in just a fiew short months. They will take on the resposability for there own good and provide for themselves. The government will have a very small roll and will be only a small player in the recovery.
When I decided for myself to get off of SSI (government income) and go back to work it only took me a couple of years to get my income up beond $50,000 per year. I still have a pacemaker, I still have hemochromatosis, a bad back, my hearing is shot and I can't spell, but my case worker still thinks I'd be better off at home collecting the $775 per month they will pay me. I guess what I'm saying is do it yourself New Orleans as San Diego, Arrowhead and all the other towns will do.

was that too harsh. I know it was very different disasters, but personal responsability is not someone elses problem. If you live below sealevel you best have a boat.

and I have to add something here.....My wife just paid off the Porsche in 10 months. We should have gone with the government plan, right?

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 10-27-2007 at 09:03 PM. Reason: the boat comment was an add on
Old 10-27-2007 | 11:39 PM
DARISC
Racer

Originally Posted by douglas bray
was that too harsh. ,
No, Doug, I think you are the antithesis of a harsh guy. Take that from a guy who can himself be a harsh guy from time to time (not a trait I take pride in).

What a lot of people don't know, think about, realize or ignore is the fact that Louisanna is an extroardinarily poor state with an extroardinarily bad reputation for corrupt government and a very high percentage of people, very many black but also very many white, who don't have the education, find it extremely difficult to get the education and if they are able to get the education to qualify them for a decent job, there aren't nearly enough jobs in that state for them to go after.

The wards worst struck were the lowest lying wards (the first to flood), the least valuable land, where many, many people live in abject poverty, in dwellings that CA would condemn, because they simply cannot afford to live anywhere else. The high crime rate goes with economic disadvantage and despair and is certainly not atributable to any kind of inferiority or lack of morals and ethics in the population subjected to these conditions.

If CA were to annex New Orleans the whole picture would change. CA is an extroardinarily wealthy state populated by a high percentage of extraordinarily well educated people whose state government they would have bring New Orleans up to the standards of quality of life we enjoy.

It is a very complicated matter entwined in politics, geography, economics and corruption which bears no resemblance to what we have here in CA, ie, to compare Katrina to Firestrorm 2007 (fckunig media people always have to come up with a trick name) makes absolutely no sense at all.

Now - let the ultra right wingers (quit rockin' the boat, I got mine and I worked hard for it, you ain't gettin' nuthin' from me to give to this country's low lifes!)loose their flames on me - I could care less.

David
Old 10-28-2007 | 01:26 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I really shouldn't compare the New Orleans and the San Diego disasters. (Luisiana had days and days to see it coming and the fire happened over night) (ouch)

quick updat on the fires: the Orange County fires that have burned into the Cleavland National Forest can now be seen from Corona. I am at my sister in law's tonight and as we went by the 91-15 interchange we could see the glow of the fire. you can't really see it in my avatar, but yesteday when I shot that picture the car was covered with ash.
Old 10-29-2007 | 10:59 AM
gunlover05
Racer

sorry about everyone in S. Cali...I'm from Tennessee and I flew into LA yesterday for work...will be here till Weds...I wasn't sure what things would look like here, given all the news coverage, but life seems "normal" here within the city...i don't even smell anything. I realize though outside of the city in certain areas is much different...

while the fires here are really tragic, I don't think a comparison to New Orleans is even close...there is loss of property here, and I understand unfortunately a few people have lost thier lives (pardon my non-news watching lately). New Orleans had people dying litterally in the streets, shootings, looting, etc....

bottom line is I even hesitated coming out here for a second, but all inside the city seems "normal" fwiw. hope these fires get under control soon, my condelences to any affected.
Old 10-29-2007 | 11:54 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Gunlover, welcome to calimexifornia. at this point the shock of the fires is over for the average person and just starting to set in for the real victums. You are very correct in saying it is not a close comparison. The california fires while a big disaster, will be over soon, towns will be rebuilt quickly, and people will get on with life almost overnight. What part of LA are you in? As you can see it's a big place. Here in California we build "sound walls" to keep you from seeing our poverty from the freeways as you pass. If you really are in "L.A." then I feal bad for you, but if you are out here on the fringes, life is good. I gotta get kids to school. we should talk later.

Quick Reply: SoCal Fires...