Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help a Newbie out, what are the best years for a sc convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Fascinating letter! The Turbo-Look coupes are well documented as having been built beginning in 1984, the Cabriolets are another matter entirely. I would love to see the distribution records for the '84/85 cars, because this letter is the first source that I've ever seen that indicates that Turbo-Look Cabs were built in those two years. The two '84s could be explained as factory test vehicles, but the large number of '85s defies logic, as there is no listing in any reference, that I own, that discusses those 113 cars. As a guess, they were probably all RoW models, but even the most comprehensive coverage of RoW cars that I've ever read does not discuss the Turbo-Look Cab as a "production" car pre-'86. Hey, I know, the Sultan of Brunei bought them all!
Out of curiosity, is the date of that letter, or the book that it was copied from, known? Was additional info, such as how the VIN for those cars was structured, included? I'm wondering if they were just "hidden" inside normal Carrera production because the first actual USA Turbo Cabs and Targas are listed as 1987 models, and most literature claims to know of at least some '86 Turbo Cabs/Targas. I've never found any VIN-specific information on Turbo-Look Cabs/Targas. Hmmmmm...
Old 10-31-2007, 07:29 PM
madmmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete, the document shown was provided to me by one of the people on the Yahoo Factory Turbo Look group I belong to. I do not know the date that it was produced.

I really believe it is a best guess by Porsche to provide some numbers. Everything I hear is that Porsche does not do any tracking by option code and that is all that there is defining a Factory Turbo Look...option m491.

No production numbers can be learned by the VIN as the FTL's are Vin'ed as 911's not 930's.

I have put out a blurb asking how many people in the Yahoo group have an 85 Cab. It should be interesting to see the results.

Pete, I want to "Thank You", as I glance over at your avatar book sitting on my bookshelf for all your great contributions to this community of car lovers.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:49 PM
initial
Instructor

When I was shopping for an 87-89 this fall, I wanted a Guards Red Targa (the real retro look). I was veto'd by the wife who insisted it had to be a Silver Cab with preferably a whale tail. I argued that it would be next to impossible to find, the next day I found an 89 Silver cab , whale tail with 78k miles, all original. I don't regret taking the wifes advice (veto).
Old 10-31-2007, 08:24 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

madmmac: Thank you for the nice words, and the follow-up! I've always suspected that, possibly to avoid additional crash-testing, etc., that Porsche just buried T-L VINs inside of the standard Carrera production series, and merely tagged them as Option 491 (this might not have worked with Turbo's, because of emissions criteria). Which makes it just about impossible to figure out when and how many were built! Sheeeesh...
I've also discussed this with some Porsche people who I've known for many years, and will continue to do so, but I don't think that we'll be able to learn much more than what we already know. I had a customer who owned an '84, black T-L coupe, and another customer who owned an '85, brownish/gold T-L coupe. I can't recall ever seeing an '84-86 T-L Cab/Targa, but took care of a few '87-89 T-Ls of all varieties.
Thanks again for posting that document, every little piece of the puzzle helps!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:26 PM
DARISC
Racer

Actually, there are no good years for convertibles. They all lack rigid tops and are squirmy and wiggly when you try to drive them like a sports car.

You should buy a coupe. SCs are by far the best!

Quick Reply: Help a Newbie out, what are the best years for a sc convertible?