wheelenhancement

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:31 PM
txhoosier
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default wheelenhancement

holly $h!#.........

i just got a quote from these guys for 16x9 & 16x7 fuchs......i'm not going to post the $$$....but lets say it was a weeee bit higher than anticipated. the reason i looked to them was that they offered forged alloys, not the cast wheel, and that they're considered OE. i have read threads here that argued for forged (lighter) over cast wheels.....but at that price i can't justify it. i have little doubt that these are the finest products on the market, but for me its a matter of affordability.....either that or being able to look my wife in the eye when i explain the necessity of the purchase......she's been a trooper so far.

i have had no luck so far in searching for a used set, looked on PCA, here, pelican, eBay, etc..... perhaps i'm looking in the wrong spots.

i'm (hopefully) taking delivery this month of a low miles/one owner 3.2, with 15" fuchs all around. i would like to get a set of 16's instead, and wanted to stay period correct. i do like the ruf 5 spoke wheels they put on turbos, but i read how heavy they were.

any suggestions? are the cast aluminum wheels something to stay away from?

sincerely,

tx
Old 10-15-2007, 09:54 PM
craiglwakefield
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.subydude.com/osc/product_...roducts_id/634
Old 10-15-2007, 11:00 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TX, You are wise to keep seeking a solution & keep $$$s in reserve for a new-to-you low mi 3.2! Continue searching for info on & sources for OEM Fuchs, modified OEM Fuchs (like the 17s) & clone Fuchs wheels (did you see all the Fuchs ads in the back of Pano, the many discussions on Pelican & here, etc?). It is important to understand the alternatives & be clear on your goals - best OEM optional wheels from back-in-the-day, DE use, tire availability, etc...

There are many considerations...
* 6&7x16" (take-offs fairly common, I have some w/ polished rims, PM me if you're really want those sizes)
* 7&8or9x16" (std or optional based on yr & model in the 3.2 range)
* 17"s built from Fuchs factory oem cores (Lindsey Racing & others, I believe)
* pressure-cast clones from Performance (many say not suitable for track work, but fine for street use)

it is also pointed out that a Fuchs wheel is going on 20+ yrs old, so usage history & metal fatigue is becoming an issue. perhaps the cost from shops like WE reflects that the wheels have been x-rayed to assure condition, as well as the cost, refinishing, & mark-up. as for me, I decided that 225s on 8x16s for the rear of my '87 was as big as I wanted to go at this point - not just a cost issue but susp stress, ride quality, ride height/clearance, aero & etc... I know how hard it is to be patient when you've got a new car coming (& as you no doubt know, DO NOT test its limits on old rubber!!!) - good luck!
Old 10-16-2007, 01:51 AM
DARISC
Racer

It's definitely your choice to put inferior, ultra cheap, gravity cast (the most primitive, weak and void/bubble prone method of casting, dating back to the Bronze Age) knock-offs of Fuchs on your car.

I certainly wouldn't. Save up your shekels and buy Fuchs or quality forged wheels, e.g. Kodiak, BBS, et al. Your car deserves that level of quality.

I hate cheap knock-offs!
Old 10-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I concur with DARISC, and would also like to mention that all of my experiences with WE have been positive. Yes, they're expensive, but you can be sure that you're getting what you paid for.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by txhoosier
i'm (hopefully) taking delivery this month of a low miles/one owner 3.2, with 15" fuchs all around.
There's nothing wrong with the 15" Fuchs that came with the car, except that tire choices are getting limited. Consider refinishing the original wheels instead of buying new ones.

TT
Old 10-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I've got 2 7"s off the front of my 82 930 in good shape... cheap. I also have 6"s and 7"s off of my 78 SC in great shape (with excellent road tires) for sale only as a set. You could send the 6"s to Lindsey and have 9"s made I think..
Old 10-16-2007, 11:37 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Given Jason Cullen a call. He sells Fuchs wheels, and likely has better prices than Wheel Enhancement. 408-210-0113
Old 10-16-2007, 01:52 PM
txhoosier
Instructor

ok - check this guy out:

http://www.automotion.com/productpag...Replica+Wheels

claims that they've been selling these since feb, with no returns. claims they're x-rayed for defect, and claims i will not be able to tell from OE. a 8x16 wheel are 19lbs ea. got a package for 16x9 + 16x7 + bridgestone potenza's for $1459 + $150 flat shipping.

looks tempting. anybody have an experience with these guys?

tx
Old 10-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

ok - check this guy out:

claims that they've been selling these since feb, with no returns. claims they're x-rayed for defect, and claims i will not be able to tell from OE. a 8x16 wheel are 19lbs ea. got a package for 16x9 + 16x7 + bridgestone potenza's for $1459 + $150 flat shipping.

tx
Just bought a set of these for my rains, plus I have three sets of REAL Fuchs wheels for my track car. All three sets plus the Euromeister wheels are 16x7 front and 16x9 rear. And yes, the real deals ARE expensive. The 16x9 wheel is no longer being forged, so whoever has inventory can pretty well set prices. At least that is what I heard from some reputable Porsche folks. From time to time, you'll see new 16x9 pairs on eBay. They run about $1800 per pair. 16x7's are much less and more plentiful.

Also, I second Pete's comments regarding Wheel Enhancement. I have had several sets of Fuchs refinished/refurbed by them. Each and every time, I have been very pleased with the results. As with the wheels themselves, Dave and the guys at Wheel Enhancement are not cheap, but you KNOW what you are getting. Same goes for Lindsay and Weidmann. BTW, no affiliation with Wheel Enhancement other than being a satisfied customer (multiple times).

Toby
Old 10-16-2007, 08:36 PM
txhoosier
Instructor

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Just bought a set of these for my rains, plus I have three sets of REAL Fuchs wheels for my track car. All three sets plus the Euromeister wheels are 16x7 front and 16x9 rear.

Toby
two burning questions.......do you like the replica's you bought, and is that you @ motorsportranch?

i think i already know the answer.......i had to move to jersey this year and was a member there......how i miss it!

tx
Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I called WE two weeks ago to inquire about a new 16x7 Fuchs. The price was very high, but I was told this was a rim right from Porsche and was part of a batch of 2000 new Fuchs that were made a year or so ago. I was lead to believe this was the last batch that might be made, but don't quote me (or WE) on that...

I would suspect that for the price I was quoted, it would have been an OEM quality lightweight forged Fuchs and nothing less. I had no reason to doubt WE.

It won't be too long before there are no more batches of brand new Fuchs to choose from and the used ones will bring a hugh premium. Porsche continues to cut down their catalog of new parts for these old cars. The last Fuchs were put on in 1989 and that is darn near 20 years ago. Fast forward 20 years from now and see what a used Fuchs 16" rim will bring... You'd have wished you snapped up some of the 2000 remaining new ones...

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 10-16-2007, 11:51 PM
DARISC
Racer

ok - check this guy out:

tx
They're Performance Products on-line. I bought a set of Porsche lug nuts from them a couple years ago and the paint is disappearing from them (aren't they supposed to be anodized?).

Are the wheels "low pressure" cast or "gravity" cast? They couldn't tell me when I called a while back and asked. They did tell me that they shouldn't be used on the track, however - said they are safe for the street? ????What the he!! does that mean anyway????

The only cast wheels I would consider are Porsche wheels. Post Fuchs wheels on their production models are all "low pressure" cast and are rigorously inspected by Porsche. (who x-rays/inspects the aftermarket wheels? - read, who do ya trust, Porsche or some Asian manufacturer who uses, what, aluminum mystery alloy?)

Most aftermarket cast wheels are "low pressure" cast (current technology). The cheapest, lowest quality Fuchs replicas available are the new Rota wheels. these are "gravity cast" (Bronze Age technology) and are much more likely to contain bubbles and voids than are "low pressure" castings, which can result in catastrophic failure. They are also heavier than "low pressure" castings.

All these knock-offs look very, very shiny and pretty. So does cheap costume jewelry.

You might be interested in searching DARISC and ocean911 on Pelican where the Rota fakes have been developed and are now being hawked - NOT by Pelican Parts, sponsor of the bbs and a highly reputable parts supplier (who thus far has chosen not to offer them in their catalogue...hmmmm...).

I (and Ocean) persisted in asking many questions, which were never answered, and posted numerous bits of factual information which caused us to be seen by most posting there as "haters" (the unbridled, often deaf and blind enthusiasm for super cheap wheels still surprises me).

I'm REALLY disliked over there for that! (hey, it's a shameless advertising thread and I have no hesitation about raining on ill-informed parades!).

Since wheels are an issue that EVERYTHING RIDES ON, it's the least intelligent place to try to save money (not to mention unsprung weight gain - and it doesn't take too many lbs increase to degrade handling).

Again - they sure are pretty! And only you need know that they are fake Rolexes, uh, I mean Fuchs.

Gee, hope I'm not sounding too opinionated!

Last edited by DARISC; 10-17-2007 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:50 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottb
Given Jason Cullen a call. He sells Fuchs wheels, and likely has better prices than Wheel Enhancement. 408-210-0113
I ordered a set from him not long ago. Will let you know how that turns out.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

two burning questions.......do you like the replica's you bought, and is that you @ motorsportranch?

i think i already know the answer.......i had to move to jersey this year and was a member there......how i miss it!

tx
1. So far, so good. But be aware that they will only be used for rain sets, no R6's, np dry sessions. And yes, Automotion/Performance Products will tell you that they are OK for rains but not for general track use.

2. Yep, that's me. Hope you can stop by if you come back to visit in the DFW area.

Toby

Quick Reply: wheelenhancement