Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Carpet Prices

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 09:11 AM
JimNB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Carpet Prices

I am redoing my interior and am shopping for a carpet set. The best price so far is from Original Interiors but even then they want $ 195 for a set. Unfortunately my good friends at Canadian Customs will want a slice of that, not to mention turning the $ 195 into roughly $ 300 CDN.

I have read a number of posts where carpet sets were "home made" with great success. I do not have the original set to the car to use as a template.

So, my question is whether or not you more experienced folks think this is a workable approach and, if so, where do I put my hands on some type of template for the carpet set ?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Old 01-04-2002, 11:02 AM
davis911s
Instructor

Jim I just got a new set from a guy on this BB. Mine is for my 77 Targa. It would be very simple to make your own I believe. I am not sure how different your carpet would be than mine. Mine is not installed it is new lying in a box in my basement till spring. If the other guys on here can tell us the differences maybe we can make one for yours. Actually I also have some of the carpet pieces left from the 70 Coupe that I parted out, just don't know what pieces I have/ don't have. Also I don't know if the stuff I have is original either.

But Jim I am sure we, or you can do it, they look quite simple, the hardest part will be finding the proper carpet material. The cutting and adding the trim will be fairly easy. I may also be able to get one of the guys on base here use the industrial sewing machine to add the trim.

Shawn
Old 01-04-2002, 11:17 AM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although removing an existing set and numbering the order of removal is the best approach, I think that you can install a new set by having a look at some 911's with carpet already installed and making a few sketches/notes, then trying to lay yours out (Seats removed, of course)in the car without glue to make sure everything is where it should be, and the overlap layering looks right. This souldn't be to difficult with a manufactured set because there are unique shapes and other details on most of the pieces that make them obvious as to where they go. Then number them as you remove them, and begin (using the numbers in backward order)gluing them in.

On the home made deal, unless you have a pattern for each part, I would think this would be very challanging and time consuming. Unless the raw material was free, I'd go with an already made set.

Make sure you get some samples of the material either way. Some of the domestic stuff really dosn't look so great in a 911, but the German cut pile ain't cheap. Depending on color(Black would be easist to find),you might consider a nice used set for the price of the new domestic. I found one for sale from a guy who was parting out his rolled car which was in concourse condition prior to its demise.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:31 PM
Walt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I purchased the Original Fit carpet last year in domestic pile. I was a little dissapointed in the overall quality of the material but for the money it was acceptable.

In my opinion, it just wouldn't be worth the time to make your own set. You would have to find a way to finish the edges off for a professional looking job. Also, the center tunnel has a vinyl patch adhered to it.

Good Luck.
Old 01-04-2002, 06:11 PM
JimNB
Advanced

We are in the process of a house renovation so I asked our carpet guy about my dilemma.

Turns out he carries a line of auto carpets and the colour I want is actually called "porsche black".

For less than $ 100 CDN (about $ 60 US) I can have all the material I could ever need AND have the edges professionally finished.

For $ 100, I think it is well worth the effort to at least try. I will let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for your responses and great insights.

Jim
Old 01-04-2002, 10:13 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never heard of "Porsche Black" carpet material. I'd get a sample swatch of this stuff and see if you can compare to a carpet in an actual car before you commit your c-note for to enough for the job.

My experience is that if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Then again, I'm the ultimate pessimist...but hey, it seems to work for me.
Old 01-05-2002, 09:33 AM
JimNB
Advanced

Thanks I do have the swatch and it have compared it to others from the kit makers. It is better quality than most of them. Not all, but most.

I don't think that this is "too good to be true" at all. I just think it is a way to save on the cosmetics of the car by doing the labour myself. I am no mechanic, so I need to get my restoration "thrill" with projects like this. The money I save will be consumed by those projects I am not confident or capable of doing myself.

Jim
Old 01-05-2002, 12:17 PM
davis911s
Instructor

Great Jim, I too hope this works out. When I recieved mine I thought "how easy this would be to make with a template" I am hoping it works out well for you, maybe we can start a Canadian thing and make and sell them cheap if it works.

Have you found out what the differences are in 70 coupe vs 77 Targa?

Email me if you are interested in using mine, I will be moving out west in April so it has to be before that.

Shawn
Old 01-08-2002, 02:53 PM
Glenn
Racer

Thumbs up

Hi Shawn & Jim from Glenn in Ontario.

Jim - I'm in the process of restoring my 73 911 Targa (Got it back from the paint shop on Friday - looks great, now I just have to put it all back together) and have been debating about replacing the carpets. I'm really interested in finding out how yours turns out. Please let me know - I'm a member of the PCA here in Toronto and could start to find some potential customers for future endevours....

Also - let me know where you found a set (Original Interiors?) in the states for $195. Might be an option for me.
Thanks Glenn

Quick Reply: Carpet Prices