Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter if you can take a look at your SC tomorrow it would be helpful. I dont have a blue wire so hope you can confirm info since Edward is dealing with an 84. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

ok Peter... Here is some more info...

I hooked up the wires based on how long they were and fit in the housing... and with three different electrical portions of the switch (2 new and 1 original), I get nothing in the engine bay when turning it with a philips head. This means that my key / mechanical switch is probably not the problem.

I do get power at my booster. and my dash lights come on.

Odd because if I disconnect my 14 pin harness I get no dash lights... so i am getting something from the 14 pin harness...

What would you check next?

Here are my wire colors.. if you could be so kind as to verify the order on your SC...
1 harness (connects to plug in dash)

Big Yellow
Big Red with Yellow Stripe
Big Red with Black Stripe
Big Red
Big Red

2nd harness. Connects to other wires under dash including headlights

Small Grey
Big Red with a small Yellow with Red Strip connected to it
Big Red with a white Stripe
Small Yellow

Total of 9 wires. 10 holes in the connector.

Thanks
Brad
Old 03-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Brad: I was not able to see the wires at my switch without some level of disassembly, but I do remember that at least two of the terminal 30 (red) wires come directly from the battery, and the remaining one powers the headlight switch. Other wires coming off the ignition switch power instrument warning lights, the rear view mirrors, rear window defroster switch, etc., and the yellow wire powers terminal 50 on the starter but it also branches off in the trunk and energizes the fuel pump relay. You might have to, short of coming up with a current flow chart, draw a diagram of the switch and go to work with an ohm meter. Sorry I couldn't be of more help...
Old 03-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Ok. Mine is fixed. It was the electrical portion of the switch. I plugged in the known good from the Porsche dealer... and it started fine. Thanks Peter for all your help and insight... Thanks...
Old 08-02-2008, 05:46 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Last week at Summit Point at the end of the 3rd session of last day I came back to my spot in the paddock on turned the key to shut the car off and it kept running, WTF! So I had the bright idea to turn it off with emergency shut off. As soon as I did that I said to myself why did I just do that? I was going to load up the car and get any early start home and now I'm really in trouble. Anyway I started checking the usual stuff but it was hot as hell and I wasn't having any success. I noticed that I I had juice when I turned the emergency switch back on so I decided to have friends help me jump start it. Started first try and I put it on the trailer and went home. Next day I went on Rennlist and did a search on Ignition switch and found this thread. I went out to the car to check the switch and while I was doing that I found a shiny little screw on the floor on the drivers side. I reached up behind the dash and low and behold the switch ain't where it supposed to be. I stuck it back in and put the screw in and it started right up. Thanks Rennlisters and thank you Frank for the nice pictures.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:42 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

FYI mine ended up being the MECHANICAL side of the switch, FWIW. Not sure I followed up with that.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Edward1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition switch

It has been some time since I last worked on my 1986 911. Been real busy at work and other issues, so I don't have time to work on it. The engine starts if I jump betwwen pin 30 and 50 (I think) put in a new ignition switch and still don't have any luck. I have voltage at all points as per the shop manual with the exception of getting voltage at the yellow connector in the front of the brake booster. Maybe when it gets a little cooler I may try getting back into it to see if I can fix it. I am at the point of wanting to sell it. The car is beautiful, has 68,000 original miles on the odometer, all original.

Edward
Old 08-06-2008, 01:24 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Must be something in the air. My car is not starting now. I checked at the solenoid and am getting no power when the key is in the start position.

For those of you with bad switches (either mech or elec), when you turned the key to start, would you get an obvious power drain? My lights will dim, I can hear the fuel pump whine get quieter, etc.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:13 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

My problem was that the starter switch itself had come lose from its mount behind the ignition lock. It had come loose in the on position so when I reingaged the emergency switch I had power and was able to bump start it.

Quick Reply: Ignition switch