Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cabriolet education needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:58 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I would also recommend looking for a manual top - I've seen the carnage after one of the top motors has kept going. It was probably the best advice I received from my mechanic - "find one with a manual top -lighter and less expensive stuff to break"

As far as AC - the bigger vents from 1986 on can really make a difference. The problem most of these era cars have with AC is the barrier hoses. There's about 40 feet of hoses, not Porsche's brightest engineering. With age comes detoriation and subsequent leaks. But with new barrier hoses, a few tweeks - the AC can be made to work reasonably well, even in it's stock configuration.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Faster, forget the cab's I want to know more about your DP935. The first car I really went crazy for was a red, almost unibody fiberglass 935 that now 20 years later may have been a DP935. it was in Fairfax, VA and I'd sell both lungs for that car.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Jaws911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for the manual - (mine comes up in less than 30 sec. in rainstorm!)
also theres a tricky little bit w/ the folds and the middle bar when you put the top down - it goes inside the the 1st(?) fold, so its hidden - otherwise you stretch the tape that holds it...you'll see what i'm talking about when you get there.
Cabs, of course, are the "poofy' little brothers of 'real' Porsches, at least at the track - the coupes are stiffer and lighter.
take the top down on the right days and see how much you care! (also lots of venting w/ the top up and the rear window down)
+1 on the engine noise too!

('86 cab)
Old 10-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

What's up with that fold? It looks like the top is getting pinched by that bar. If I don't fold in the bar the top opens like a sail at speed. What other options are there? Get a boot and don't fold it?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:40 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.

Cabs have their pros & cons. I have always wanted to have a convertible at least once in my life, and I wanted a 911, so I did the both at the same time (picture Austin Powers checking off doing the Japanese Schoolgirl Twins off his "to do before I die list).

My 84 has the zippered rear window... harder to deal with than a simple "flomp" up & over, but the rear window stays much more intact than the single all-in-one tops... no permanent crease. I have had to have the zipper re-sewn once already since owning. It's the original top otherwise. The headliner's about gone now though. I bought new material, but am told by the upholsterer that the top needs to come off to do this replacement. If so, I can't see doing the labor, I'll save the headliner for when I replace the whole top.

Doug's almost right (), I drive daily except for known rainstorms because a) it leaks, and b) it's annoying to have to put the top up, and c) I can't stand driving a convertible with the top up. Bugs me. If it's 32 degrees or better & sunny, I'm driving her with the top down.

I don't believe I'll go with a drop-top for my next one, but that answer changes a little depending on the situation. I have a bolt-in roll bar on mine, and have brought her to the track. I think the roll bar's great for stiffening the chassis a little, but it's pretty intrusive. Being able to drop the top means you have a mini-SUV too. I recently hauled a sliding patio screen door to the hardware store for a repair - stuck it angled back a little behind the front seats, up about 3-4 feet above the windshield. Was a sight to see, really.

Cabs are inherently noisier too, I think. If music's important, think about a coupe. If you need the wind in your hair (or in my case, over my scalp), the Cab's a lot of fun. If your trophy wife's worried about her hairdo, forget it, get a coupe.

Good luck!
Old 10-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Fred: Your post made me think of what else we loved about our Cab, ours also had a bolt in roll bar "hoop" with diagonals, one per side, to the rear. With the top down it created a perfect-sized space for four grocery bags - not tight enough to break the eggs, not loose enough to have a bag tip over. And what convenience, just walk to the side of the car and drop them in. No, we did not put the top up while in the store. The car had a killer security system, LEDs, "Alarm by Porsche" stickers, etc., and no one ever messed with the car. It was similar in color to Douglas's '88, and very sweet looking. And all of the music in that car came from a single rear speaker, I think that some of us refer to it as the engine lid grille!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Real
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab.'s

There is simply nothing like a 911 Cab.. Just very enjoyable & great fun....period. I wanted a coupe, my brother (owner of '90 944 S2 CAB.) convinced me to get a cab. and I couldn't be happier.

Pete, can you suggest a few sources for roll bars?? I'm interested in the individual, rounded style behind each front seat. Sorry for the poor description. Is that the "hoop" style you mentioned??? Any help appreciated.

Real
Old 10-10-2007, 04:08 AM
faster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Faster, forget the cab's I want to know more about your DP935. The first car I really went crazy for was a red, almost unibody fiberglass 935 that now 20 years later may have been a DP935. it was in Fairfax, VA and I'd sell both lungs for that car.
doug, you mean that nasty ole looking turd on the right? or for that matter left? i dont want to talk about them. remember you're first porsches and kick yourself in the ace for ever getting rid of them i still cry

Last edited by faster; 11-12-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:34 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by faster
Thanks Doug, living in Ind. it will only be a summer driver and typically weekends. hopefully dry ones to boot. hard to explain that to someone especially "first owners," until he has to spend a couple hours detailing it back out after driving in a rain and finally understands its not worth it.
I would suggest that the driving is worth it, and the detailing isn't

ps: I've got a garage queen too, but she's a car, not a piece of art!

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 10-10-2007, 08:46 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rules for Owning a 911 Cab
  1. You are the coolest of cool. You are allowed to sneer at all coupe’d drivers. But be kind, because they are ALL envious.
  2. Top down as often as possible. If you are not top down, the car should be in storage. (or your wife is along for the ride).
  3. Always zip the plastic window out & put a towel on it when folding the top down. This saves the window from wrinkles & cracks & eventual rear obscurity.
  4. Practise putting the top up quickly. The only iffy part is zipping the window up - be gentle so you don't rip out the zipper stitching.
  5. Treat the window with a clear plastic window cleaner every couple of washes.
  6. Never, repeat, never put the top down in freezing temps. I know this breaks Rule 2 but the plastic window is not cheap to replace.
  7. If it starts raining lightly, do not pull over to put the top up. Drive faster.
  8. If your top is manual, always push the metal bar into the fabric as you bring the top down. If it’s not manual, it probably soon will be.
  9. Wash your top every couple of years & spray with a silicone sealant. 303 or any silicone canvas preservative will do.
  10. Buy sunscreen & keep it in the door pocket.
  11. Garage the car when not in use.
  12. Never leave the top down for extended periods of time. Always put it up when in the garage so the fabric doesn’t remain ‘folded’.
  13. When in motion, always have the cab boot cover buttoned down, otherwise, the top can catch air, chafe & wear prematurely.
  14. You are the coolest of cool. Keep a pen ready to sign all of the autographs . . .
Ian
Old 10-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I must admit, Ian has covered the Cab issue with perfection!
Old 10-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Jaws911
Pro

Ian -
well done!

& may I add...

15. Don't forget the shades!
Old 10-10-2007, 06:06 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaws911
Ian -
well done!

& may I add...

15. Don't forget the shades!
...and a hat! (for those of us folically challenged)
Old 10-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Question on #3

What does the towel thing do? Why unzip the window?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:37 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Question on #3

What does the towel thing do? Why unzip the window?
The towel is used so the top does not scratch the window. The window is unzipped so it can lay flat to prevent creases. If you fold the top with the window zipped up, you also put stress on the stitching of the zipper.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet education needed