Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil Anxiety Disorder

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WitchDoctor
Frank's pic is photoshopped. Australia is bone-dry parched, even more than usual with their drought, yet those Auzzies conspire to perpetrate the myth that they are in a lush sub-tropical paradise.

That pic of his Porsche in his signature block? That's more like it. After it's been cleaned.
;-)

WHY DO YOU SAY THINGS THAT YOU KNOW WILL HURT ME???

Old 10-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Ian Ledger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the matter with Mobil 1 0 40 for a 3.2? That is what Mobil recommend, and I use. Consumption is fine - about 1 litre for 4000 km, and pressure is good, and that for an engine with 248000 km. I am very happy, so what am I missing?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:14 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Mobil 0-40 reduced the Zinc needed for our air-cooeld Porsches but yu could add STP red bottle.

Check out the link .

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

From his link

For those using Mobil 1 0w40 in older aircooled engines, Mobil's MXT4 10w40 which is also an API SG oil should provide excellent wear perfomance similar to the V-Twin formulation, but in a lighter viscosity. I should note that both of these oils have LOTS of Zn and P and will probably shorten your catalytic converter's life. If it was me, I would think continuing to use M1 15w50 and 0w40 with added GM EOS or STP would suffice for most users while keeping Zn and P levels to where they shouldn't vastly affect emissions control systems overall life over Porsche's previous recommendations of an API SH or SJ oil as late the 2000 model year 996.

John
Old 10-10-2007, 04:52 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Mobil's MXT4 10w40 which is also an API SG oil should provide excellent wear perfomance similar to the V-Twin formulation, but in a lighter viscosity.
Great oil. Down side is that up here it is almost $15 a quart.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Ian Ledger
Intermediate

Thanks for the link, seems plausible, but there seems to be no data to back up the theory.
Ian
Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ian, if you search for & read all the threads here & on Pelican about oils you will have a much better context for forming an opinion.

For instance, my own opinion is that PAG changes its recommendations on oil weights to a) support the requirements of their current production (& in warranty) engines (water-cooled, advanced timing / tuning concepts, limited bearing surface area to gain economy, enviro regs influence on cat conv operation, etc), + b) so that dealers minimize the oil they must stock (it's expensive, takes up a lot of space, needs to move fast, an enviro hazard). I understand their policy from their pov.

My pov is to increase the service life of my 20 yr old, out-of-warranty engine w/ 120K miles on it (halfway through its lifespan, I pray). My interests & Porsches overlap, but they are not neccessarily identical.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Ian Ledger
Intermediate

Thanks Ked,
I serched the threads, and Pelican, as you suggested. I am still not convinced, but thanks - you evidently care, and th
Old 10-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Ian Ledger
Intermediate

Thanks Ked,
I searched the threads, and Pelican, as you suggested. I am still not convinced, but thanks - you evidently care, and that is worth a lot. I suspect you will have infuenced my future choice.
Ian
Old 10-12-2007, 06:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by emac
Ice
Don't give us that bull about not starting you car between Dec and March. The REAL reason is you are out of money and cannot afford the 35 belts you would need. Plus rags,oil caps etc.etc. !!!!!

Have a great one
Ernie 81 SC
you know I should enter a Porsche contest for fastest belt changer. I actually did it in total darkness by memory in about 8 minutes, and that was with a smoking hot engine . and yes I still have the old oil cap as a reminder .. I am getting a bit woried as the guy I buy them from is beginning to think i am a reseller as I buy so many .. he doesn't believe my car snaps that many .. of course I don't tell him how, I just shrug my shoulders.

The best one was the oil rag though , although the most dangerous. It reminded me of a tool time show . I bent down so the dip stick was in the shade of the rear deck lid and WHAM .. the rag was gone.. out of my left hand, around the pulley under the belt. lucky it wasn't wrapped around my fingers. I actually might buy a Porsche belt next time , the others worked great but it is kinda cool having Porsche on the belt ..

i just know as I walk up to the belts they are thinking " I don't wanna die ... pick him .. "
Old 10-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was a long haired type, I just managed to stop my ponytail from being eaten by a timing belt. As I pulled back, I saw the gas station attendant watching for a free show.

It was all I could do not to go over and flatten him. So much for peace and love.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

fortunately my hair is really short, or I would have got that caught and snapped a belt too.... I love these mixed up threads .. keeps the nubes hoping ..
Old 10-12-2007, 11:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

oh and Frank I was cruising around Christmas day last year .. first time ever... I only put it away because it got too cold for my weak heating system and Targa roof .. I hope we are as lucky this year..
they don'r call me ice man for nothing ..

Quick Reply: Oil Anxiety Disorder