Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 06:32 PM
itsmekg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy?

This is my first time here and any imput would be appreciated. I have been dreaming of owning my first Porsche for twenty years when, in high school, I drove a friends dad's '87 Turbo. Now I found an '87 Targa but have some reservations. There is a good size gap between the passenger window and the top that will allow in a lot of rain/snow (this will be a daily driver here in Chicago). There is a good two inch split in the driver's seat and a little rust on the pillar between gas filler and windshield. It was a Florida car so a few cracks on dash and the speakers in rear window have cracks on plastic frame. Otherwise "normal" wear on door panels and seat belts but otherwise paint looks real good. Actually better than the interior, but not necessarily a new paint job. Starts right up and runs real smooth with nice, solid ride. Oh, and the targa stitching on outside is coming loose in areas along the seams. So a lot of superficial repairs I guess but I think a couple minor repairs and it should be fine. The passenger door leak would be first so any ideas on how much that replacement seal would cost. I assume it is just dried and shrunk leaving a gap. No signs of an accident at least. I haven't taken it to a certified mechanic yet which I definately will, but, assuming everything checks out OK I think I will make the long awaited plunge. Driving this car was pure ecstasy and I didn't even have the top off yet! I know about not letting emotions get in the way but easier said than done with a Porsche, am I right? Anyway, it does have a questioinable past with some auctions down in Florida in early '90s with loans/leans on it but has had same owner in Chicagoland since at least '95--I have a good amount of invoices but probably not all. Probably about 3-5 thousand put into it, but ten years ago. No signs of gas,oil, or any other leaks. Do I run or just low ball it at around $10,000? Any advice?
Old 10-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Keep in mind that if you buy a Porsche for little money, you will wind up putting whatever you think you saved back into it in the form of repair bills. You will hear this often. Buy the newest Porsche you can afford. Buy the cleanest used one you can afford. Issues like rust are completely unacceptable, as are body or window gaps. There are SO many used Porsches out there that you need not settle on something mediocre. Walk away from the first several Porsches you see until you learn about them and their quirks. I've been driving them since 1974.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Even at $20,000 the car would be a great time. Do lots of homework. Read everything you can get at Barns and Noble especially Peter zimmerman's book. Remember the car is 20 years and not going to be in showroom condition. Always check oil consumption, and the usual things you check on old cars.

I too wanted to relive my youth. I graduated from high school in 1986 here in california and found myself in Washington D.C. three days later till the summer of '88. I went from being very poor to living in the highest income per capita county in the country. Now with a household income well over my wildest dreams the Porsche is a subtle reminder of my glory days. Just around the corner from my place back then was a DP935. Needless to say after seeing that I was hooked.

I looked at 100's of add's, drove 25 911's, and purchased 1 absolutly pristine (read flaws I could live with) beauty from Ohio.

good luck and welcome aboard
Old 10-05-2007, 07:09 PM
itsmekg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I have been reading a lot over the years and have heard the mantra (newest you can afford). This is the first one I have drove though so I probably will wait longer to see what else is out there. I thought I might be able to get a good deal but like you say, Dan, I'm sure I'll pay for it down the road.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

I would NEVER touch this car at 20,000. 10 sounds closer given all the unacceptable issue you mentioned. I wouldn't even bother , sounds like it just has not been cared for ..

Quick Reply: Should I buy?