Help adjusting shifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:08 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Help adjusting shifter

Hey Guys,
Any links to this? Didn't find much searching.
I placed the shifter and gear box in first and tightened it up.
Seems to work okay, but a couple of times I've found it stuck in 5th!
Then yesterday I went for 2nd only to find I had no gears at all!
Thanks
Rod
Old 09-27-2007, 11:40 AM
D.C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this article on Pelican. This is on my to-do list as well.

http://http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_shifting_improvements/911_shifting_improvements.htm
Old 09-27-2007, 04:10 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

The pelican article is how I learned. It might take you a couple of tries to get it right but you will be very pleased with yourself with the outcome.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:58 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Thanks guys.
You would think it would be a simple adjustment, but it's finicky.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:40 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You didn't say what type of car. I assume it's got a 915 tranny. If so, make sure all the shift bushings are good or new.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:25 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Originally Posted by Spider911
You didn't say what type of car. I assume it's got a 915 tranny. If so, make sure all the shift bushings are good or new.
Yes 915.
I replaced everything.
I found the set up with the enclosed link, using left side of neutral, to be much easier than the "101 Projects" using top of 1st gear.
I'm still finding it hard to shift and now I,m nicking reverse when I go for 5th sometimes.
Thanks
Rod
Old 10-01-2007, 11:57 AM
JBO
Instructor

I just did this this weekend and it made a big diff - I was also having problems with 5th. I had tried several different methods, and this one worked best. I put it in nuetral, losen the couplr bolts, then pull the shifter to the left against the housing such that the lower part of the lever is vertical and right in the middle (I held it in place with a bungee cord), then turn the coupler as far to the passenger side as possible and tighten the bolts.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:30 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Some time when you "nick" reverse it is caused by the lock out pawl spring not working as it should. At times this could also indicate that the adjustment still needs to be tweaked a bit. After you do make the adjustments, before you close everything up, try to make sure that you can go through all of the forward gears, and also reverse easily. It usually does take a few attempts to get it honed just right, but you will be very happy with the results once you do get it just right. Good luck.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:38 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Originally Posted by 3.2SLANTNOSE
Some time when you "nick" reverse it is caused by the lock out pawl spring not working as it should. At times this could also indicate that the adjustment still needs to be tweaked a bit. After you do make the adjustments, before you close everything up, try to make sure that you can go through all of the forward gears, and also reverse easily. It usually does take a few attempts to get it honed just right, but you will be very happy with the results once you do get it just right. Good luck.
But the question is which way do I adjust it. Do I make it worse just to know I should have gone the other way?
Adjust forward or just sideways?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:17 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Do you also have a Bentley Manual? If so, try it or whatever manual you have, to adjust it following its instructions. I don't think you are going to make it worse, all this is usually done without driving the car. At times it is a lot of trial and error adjusting. No one can exactly tell you which way to adjust it, all are a little different, due to wear. It should all work smoothly after adjustments are made without driving, if it feels OK after the adjustments and ALL gears are able to be shifted to without problem or excessive force to get it into any certain gear, then you could test drive it. You will know when you are adjusting it, from the ease of going through the gears or not be able to go through the all the gears. If you still can't get the 915 smooth, you might have other shifter problems. There could be problems with the other bushings in the shifter assembly that have failed. Hope something here helps. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd start over from scratch. Did you replace the coupler? If not, you should think about using the Wevo - it does make a big difference. When you had the coupler off last did you mark its position by any chance?

I usually put it into first and then move the coupler sideways as far as it will go to the left (drivers side). I have spent hours trying to get it perfect. Be careful though...don't force the issue. I ended up with a rebuild from getting mad and forcing the issue. Sometimes it's best just to start from scratch rather than trying to make small incremental changes.

Quick Reply: Help adjusting shifter