Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

winter *sigh*

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 11:26 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
Unhappy winter *sigh*

So I think I am going not drive the car over the winter. Exposing it to all that salt and taking a rear wheel drive car on snow does not seem like a good idea to me.

I have also decided to start thinking ahead as oppose to panicking when the white stuff starts to surround me. I have read all sorts of threads about storing the car over the winter. However, they all have something in common; storing it in a garage.

As it stands I currently don't have access to a garage. Anything wrong with storing it outside over the winter? (please don't shoot me for having such a thought)

I know that in an ideal world I would just move to arizona for the winter. Or store the car in an underground, heated, humidity controlled garage with a 2 mile oval track so that I can run up the car up every week and also have a team of german mechanics tinkering with the car while I am not driving it. Not going to happen.

So my choices are either to store it outside over the winter or rent a storage place and put it in there. I would rather not shell out the money for the storage place. I have also seen those inflating PVC mini garages.

Thoughts Ladies and Gentleman?
Old 09-23-2007, 11:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

At least buy her a tent. One of the kind you can get for your driveway. Pep Boys has a large selection. I built a large two story shed that is barn shaped and well insulated. cost, well, I'm sure it was over a grand, but I was trying not to look. All the years of A's in drafting class finally paid off.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:41 AM
dsmith
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, my solution was pretty severe. i moved to houston to drive/race the cars i like year round! we all have choices.

really, though, i would rent a storage space. i rented a non-climate controlled, rock floored storage space for my race car/trailer for $50 per month. it was in an RV/boat storage place. i prepaid 6 months for a discount.
David
Old 09-24-2007, 12:45 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you got access to a rear yard at your place? I ask because if you put in a bubble where other idiots have access to, well, you know where I'm going with this.

If you have a back yard I'd buy one of those temporary carports (tents) that Doug mentioned.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:47 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Well my choices are either the parking lot here at my work/home or the driveway at my parent's place.

Couldn't quite convince my mom to leave her car outside during the winter so I could store mine
Old 09-24-2007, 02:28 AM
911SC SKI
Advanced

What the hell is her problem?

You'd better explain to her that being a parent is all about sacrifices.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 AM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

Rent a storage place and put it in there.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:46 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Carrera
Rent a storage place and put it in there.
That's what I would do or move South.

I think winter will start in Jan down this year...

John
Old 09-24-2007, 09:27 AM
GeneralTso
Instructor

What if you told your mom that you'd clear the snow off of her car for her every time it snows in exchange for keeping your 911 in the garage???

Originally Posted by old man neri
Couldn't quite convince my mom to leave her car outside during the winter so I could store mine
Old 09-24-2007, 10:55 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by GeneralTso
What if you told your mom that you'd clear the snow off of her car for her every time it snows in exchange for keeping your 911 in the garage???
Seeing as I live 150mi away that wouldn't be the easiest. Although, I could lie and tell her that, I wounder if she would buy it..........hmmmmm

But thanks for the ideas so far. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and get a storage space.....
Old 09-24-2007, 11:16 AM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry about it if you have a good outdoor cover. Cold and snow won't harm a 911. I didn't have a garage for the first two winters of 911 ownership. Take some precautions against rodents.... many different ways have been mentioned before on this site. I used dryer sheets (lots), over inflate tires a bit to prevent flat spots if you like. I made sure exhaust and intake were blocked as well as the fan/housing, you dont a mouse nest under the fan shroud. Pull the heat on to block the heatexchangers and Bob's your uncle. I had less of a rodent concern living in the city with car outside than I do now with a garage living in the sticks.

BG

Quick Reply: winter *sigh*