Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Non OEM Blinker/Headlight Switchs

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:18 PM
martinfick
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non OEM Blinker/Headlight Switchs

Are there any non oem blinker/headlight switches made for an 87 Carrera? I just replaced mine last year (high beams were coming on randomly) and it went bad again. With the black steering column covers on the high beams come on randomly, with them off I was able to avert this, but now sometimes both the high and low beams just cut out completely. Yikes, find those fog lights quickly!

Does anyone else have to replace this switch regularly? Does anyone know of a more reliable switch?

Thanks,

-Martin
Old 09-20-2007, 04:46 PM
sus911
Track Day

You need a relay kit to stop the full voltage going through the switch itself. It is this design flaw that destroys the terminal connections in the switch.
Do a search on Pelican for "sucro relay kit" or I believe PP are now stocking a similar kit which is very easy to install for under $30. It will protect your new $120 headlight flasher/turn signal switch forever!
good luck,
Phil
Old 09-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is this the part you are looking for? lots of guys go the extra step and put the lights on a relay so they are not powering the headlights thru the steering columb. hope this helps

http://www.automotion.com/productpag...ignal%20Switch
Old 09-20-2007, 05:37 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the relay thing. It's easy, cheap, and I fit the unit in the battery well, where you cannot see it. I also did a relay on a 6v 356 and suddenly I had headlights.

Then replace your switch and it will last forever.

Steve
84 Carrera
Old 09-20-2007, 06:05 PM
sus911
Track Day

Doug is this the same as what I was talking about?
I'm not sure but I think so.
When I did mine, the kit came with tandem relays- 1 for the high beam and 1 for the low beam and it is wired right under the fuse box in the trunk.
I was under the impression that it protected the whole circuit as the headlights already have relays yes?
While we're at it, we should (if we haven't already) install in-line fuses to the footwell blowers. Apparently these can be a source of fire hazard. Not sure if its fuses or relays though.
Anyone chime in on this one?
Phil
Old 09-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It is my understanding that the stock system sends the full load into the switch.

gettin' kicked out of the office............................
Old 09-24-2007, 01:59 PM
martinfick
5th Gear

Default Extra Problem Solved

Originally Posted by sus911
...When I did mine, the kit came with tandem relays- 1 for the high beam and 1 for the low beam and it is wired right under the fuse box in the trunk.
Thanks for the great idea guys, I will get this: http://members.rennlist.com/msucro1/relaykit.htm

I was under the impression that it protected the whole circuit as the headlights already have relays yes?
No, I checked the Bentley and they do not (at least the mid 80s Carreras don't)

While we're at it, we should (if we haven't already) install in-line fuses to the footwell blowers. Apparently these can be a source of fire hazard. Not sure if its fuses or relays though. Anyone chime in on this one?
The 87 already has those, but if not, might not be a bad idea.

Let me share a little more about my problem since it might end up being useful to others. As I mentioned above, this year, not only was I getting a problem with the high beams flashing on annoyingly, I was also getting the headlights cutting out entirely! Well Friday night I replaced the steering column switch and checked my headlights. The left one was really dim and suddenly they both went off. I thought: "oh, I miss-wired the switch" (it can be a real hassle trying to get your fingers on those spades under the dash). I went to play soccer and figured I'd get a fresh start in the morning. On the way to soccer I gave it some thought and realized: "wait a minute, maybe I didn't miss-wire it, maybe this is the second problem mentioned above which IS NOT caused by the steering wheel switch!"

Saturday morning I started debugging, checked the Bentley and went straight to the fuses and applied power to them (#1,2,3, and 4) with an alligator clip and to my surprise the headlights did not come on. I figured the next step was to confirm that the bulbs were still good. I took the headlights apart and found my problem. On both sides the connector (socket) that the bulbs plugs into had the ground pin completely fried!! Since it was Saturday and I wanted to use the car that night I went to Checkers (dealers are closed on Sats.) and they sold replacement sockets. Wired them in, good to go.

This led me to think a little more, why would both of them go at the same time, perhaps another design flaw? Something to realize is that went you flash your high beams, your low beams stay on! This means that the ground lead is actually carrying twice the current than the high and low beam leads. Perhaps the socket cannot handle this load? No big deal since this is normally only a short flash, but when the steering column switch goes bad this may get a little more use than it was designed to handle?

Interestingly enough, I wonder if this is a design flaw on all cars that use that 9004(?or was it 4006) bulb? It seemed like the most common bulb and the socket was certainly not Porsche specific. ...Anyway, something to check if you have a similar problem.

-Martin

Quick Reply: Non OEM Blinker/Headlight Switchs