Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Found a nice 87 Carrerra that consumes 1 qrt/500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kick7ca
I drove the subject car. Owner was generous enough to allow an extended drive, and I walked away impressed with how refined and solid the car felt. However, paint has faded, there was some minor body damage in front next to the fog light, I detected some clutch/flywheel chatter, and a faint gas smell in the cockpit. These observations combined with the high oil consumption and original clutch make this one a definite pass at $19K. But kudos to an honest seller and PCA member who really let me feel the car out.

He was not receptive to a sub $15K offer.
With that further information, probably a good decision.

Brett
Old 09-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep, I agree...
Old 09-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Doug Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was this a red Carrera in the Bay area?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:19 AM
kick7ca
Advanced

No it was not.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

And now a word from the "other camp";

I say buy it.

I’ve spent decades dealing with older cars as a hobby. Remember that the car you’re looking at is almost 20 years old . The owner want to sell it. He does not want to give it away. Nor does he want to restore it at a loss for your benefit. Also keep in mind the owner appears to be up-front about issues with the car.

I've seen many, many "pristine" 911s that were in fact nasty rust heaps. And I mean nasty, nasty, cars that required thousands of dollars worth of "minor" repairs. If you visit Rennlist and Pelican long enough you'll learn who owns these cars. People with just enough money to buy them, but not enough money or knowledge to maintain them.

Let’s look at the problems you sight from another vantage.
  • Faded paint? A plus! Shiny paint on old cars scares the begezuz out of me. There’s probably three pounds of Bondo under that shiny paint. And subtract $5,000 if it's a Macco paint job.
  • Slight damage near fog light? The car's got the typical patina of time. Subtract nothing. After all, the owner didn't bastardize the valance did he? He left the tub untouched. It’s not like he pop-riveted an oil cooler tunnel into the tub using Silicone caulk (for siding a house). Nor did he strip out the A/C components, ditch the console, or install seats from a Honda.
  • Slight gas smell? Maybe nothing. Maybe it needs new gas lines. But then again, you don't need to undo the $800 damage done by the owner applying some "creative" fix of worm clamps, garden hose, and duct tape.
  • Original clutch! Woo Hoo! It's been driven so gently the factory clutch still works! No one has broken the ears off the trans out of ignorance. No one has J-B welded the cross shaft in!

Here's the net: You have way less to de-fornicate with this car than 90% of all others. I strongly believe you'll come out ahead buying this sound, well represented, car with known issues over a shiny 911 that will yield many costly surprises.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Captain: Very, very interesting approach to a time-honored problem! Well put, I would say. Except your Maaco comment, of course; I've always thought that Sherwin-Williams latex was superior to that Glasurit stuff ...
Old 09-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Tennis anyone?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:42 PM
kick7ca
Advanced

Interesting points Captain, but alas I did not love her. Fortunately I live in an area where I can see plenty of cars within a day's drive, this one was number two, and I have a few others I've yet to see.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:51 PM
mkimber
Advanced

Originally Posted by kick7ca
But kudos to an honest seller and PCA member who really let me feel the car out.
Thank you for the kudos, Joe. Best of luck in your search.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:34 AM
kick7ca
Advanced

Originally Posted by mkimber
Thank you for the kudos, Joe. Best of luck in your search.
They're well deserved. And to set the record straight, this car was indeed in good shape, was unmolested, had a perfect interior, ice cold A/C, nice pilot sports and it ran like a top and did not smoke. So solid too! I may still call you if someone else hasn't snatched it.

Paint was a bit faided yes, but that is what happens to 20 year old bright red. I've owned 2 older bright red cars, and honestly I think that is the real reason why I am passing, I'm just not interested in doing the red thing again...
Old 09-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ice Cold Air ! Whoo-Hoo !
Old 09-25-2007, 09:16 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

After all, the owner didn't bastardize the valance did he? He left the tub untouched. It’s not like he pop-riveted an oil cooler tunnel into the tub using Silicone caulk (for siding a house). Nor did he strip out the A/C components, ditch the console, or install seats from a Honda.

hey now, i resemble those remarks, but to be correct, they were generically universal seats, I test fit them first in a toyota truck

Quick Reply: Found a nice 87 Carrerra that consumes 1 qrt/500 miles