82 SC

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:34 PM
rockpicker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 SC

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

Is anybody familiar with this car? It already has many of the upgrades and mods I would perform. Not big on the red, and have really overlooked SCs in general, but would really appreciate and education on the really big driving differences between these car and the longhoods/3.2s (i.e., what would an SC feel more like?).

Thanks
Matt
Old 09-19-2007, 12:37 AM
dsmith
Racer

off hand, that car does not have 7/8 fuchs in the pics, a/c removed and heater backdated (something I would do). the SC has CIS and 3.2 Carreras have Motronic, so take your pic, but CIS components are getting very expensive, ex: $700+ for a control pressure regulator! looks like a clean car and a knowledgable owner, worthy of a serious look, if you are serious.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:11 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd hit it like this, I'd hit it like that,

dang it, wife wants computer......

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 09-19-2007 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:04 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

an SC with SSIs and M&K (barely a muffler) feels d*mned nice to me. Compared to stock exhaust with catalyst, I couldn't believe the difference in throttle response, 'revability' and pull when I made the switch. If I were looking now instead of 2.5 years ago, I might probably be looking for a 84+ Carrera but this car looks like a good one. Mine with Rennaire A/C components is very driveable in the brutal summer around here, but depending on your climate, if you don't need A/C even better. I paid $20k for mine with 58k one-owner miles, immaculate inside and out and the chain tensioner had already been done, so in hindsight I could have held out and looked longer for a Carrera and paid the same or less, but it was the 3.0L reputation that helped sway me.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:08 PM
rockpicker
Advanced

DB_NC_83SC, what is it about the 3.2s that you like better? Just newer, or the diff motor and trans?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:21 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not saying that I like the 3.2 better but had I gone that route my choice to do so would have been driven because of the EFI and G50 transmission (if 87 or newer). I've not even driven a 3.2 Carrera with either the 915 or G50 transmission so I can't even comment on how different it might feel. I would be curious to drive a Carrera with G50. When I had an '02 C4S I absolutely loved the 'shifts like butter' transmission, especially on track. I suppose my perspective is aligned with the general rule of thumb regarding 911s (i.e. 'buy the most recent model you can afford as long as it meets your needs and has the attributes you want').

I'd love a 993 but could not justify the price, 993 is my favourite body style and I'm not a big fan of the 964. Financially a SC or Carrera had to be my choice (and still allow me to have a modern fun-to-drive commuter car with the Cooper).

I'm pretty happy with my tweaked (the tweaks never end by the way) 83 SC. I found a good one and love the car.

I've made the following upgrades: 930 tie rods, SSIs, M&K muffler, OEM short shifter kit, Rennaire A/C components and hoses, 930S steering wheel, H4 headlights and 'Sucro' relay, have a set of 17" ROTA "Fox" wheels on order, Carrera oil cooler, Mobil One.

<edit>
replacing the shocks today with Bilstein HDs. Car is in the shop and I totally forgot to mention that. I chose to keep the stock shock settings rather than go to Bilstein Sports
</edit>

I hope this helps.

Last edited by DB_NC_95C2; 09-19-2007 at 02:23 PM. Reason: forgot one 'mod'
Old 09-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

To follow up on dsmith's thoughts, I know that photos/angles sometimes skew reality, but the car appears to be way too low in the rear. The chin spoiler, see front wheel pic, is a bad install. There are no pictures of the restored to new leather interior. The air hoses used in the engine compartment, and under the car at the heater boxes, are el-cheapo hoses that are not nearly as durable as o.e. hose (hoses in the engine comp should be the black "paper" type, and the hoses under the car should be red). The car should definitely include all of the original components, as well as all of the original parts to restore the heating system back to stock. I know that others will dispute this, and that's OK, but a Porsche design specifically for CIS cars has been violated by the installation of non-shielded.braided plug wires. The hit and miss clean up under the car leaves behind some questions; (1) If the car is original paint, why does the rocker panel hardware and spacers look new? (2) The taillight lens frames are sun bleached (no longer black), with that in mind how could the original paint have survived (granted, it could have, but it just "feels" weird), and (3) the engine compartment paint looks unusually fresh. Finally, does anyone know about that front cooler fan (does it pull air through the cooler, or is it pushing air against the natural air flow)? I would like to see more pictures, especially of the interior, engine compartment and trunk area. The car appears to be nice enough to pursue a professional PPI, the pictures in the ad really don't tell the whole story.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Look at all the overspray on the belly pan. It is fresh overspray too. prior to the new oil lines, but not long enough for dirt to cover it up. "original paint" just became "original color paint"...sorry she is still a beauty.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:06 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

rockpicker,

check your pm regarding this car.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:33 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I knew this car looked familiar.
Here is the ad on Pelican listed for $14,995

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ght=alan+stark

John
Old 10-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Inniswhe
AutoX

Default More questions about the 82SC

I too have been looking at this 82SC, found in on Pelican. Has anyone actually viewed the car in person or test drove it?

Pete, the Owner sent me quite a few photos of the car, interior, underside, a couple very small rust repairs. He has been very obliging ,and seems like a straight shooter with lots on info and records to pass on. He sent me a copy of the PPI he had done when he bought the car and major work performed, several records of significant work etc. . I am considering a PPI and wondering if you would consider viewing the photos, you mentioned you would like to see more . My email is Inniswhe@yahoo.com.

The problem I have is I am in eastern Canada (no 911's near here) and searching for my first 911 in the US via the web with plans to pursue the appropriate car with a PPI. Depending on location of the final selection I may fly down to inspect the car prior to final purchase. Not really an ideal situation but I really am trying to look for an porsche enthusiast's car with lots of records. I will be doing all maintenance myself (learning a different car design is part of the reason I am getting a 911)

I was originally looking for a 87-89 model year to get the newest of that generation but this SC catches my attention and is lower priced than similar late 80's cars listed. Is there typically much difference in performance between a properly functioning SC with a few modifications like this one has and the Carrrera 3.2 with the G50.

Quick Reply: 82 SC