Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fan still noisy, care to give your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 10:31 PM
HJV11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Fan still noisy, care to give your opinion?

OK, I am the new owner of an 86 Carrera Coupe. I have been fighting a fan noise that seems to be tied to the fan belt. The fan is not hitting the housing anywhere, and the bearings in the alternator "seem" to be good when I free spin the fan with out the belt on. But when I attach the fan belt, I get this metallic tinny sound. It seems to go away if I adjust the fan belt and come back within 10 miles or so. The noises comes and goes with engine speed. And seems to change when it happens when I adjust the belt.
The only thing I have noticed is that there is only 4 shims in the fan pulley when I am under the impression that there should be 6. I have adjusted the belt so that all 4 shims are outside the pulley and it proves to give 1/4-1/2" play in the belt. This is what I am told is the correct amount of play. Any ideas guys?
I am 99% sure it is fan belt adjustment related but am kind of at a loss.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:40 AM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're right RJ in thinking there should be 6 shims in total...but I've had 5 on mine for ages with no ill effects and I've seen 4 and six used with equal success . I think the recommended amount is to put the correct load on the alternator shaft . 1/4" play is TOO TIGHT 1/2-3/4" is better . This should allow you to place at least one or two shims behind the pulley and the rest against the pulley fastening nut. If this doesn't work buy a correctly sized new belt , they are so cheap it's worth the hassle. Check adjustment regularly on a new belt , when you top up the oil for instance.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:55 AM
HJV11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I changed the belt and the noise went away. Thanks for the opinion!
Old 04-28-2003, 03:19 PM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow I must go into business as a fan consultant . Wish all the faults were so easy to sus!

Quick Reply: Fan still noisy, care to give your opinion?