Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Harmonic humming rt. caliper

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 01:17 PM
smoak
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Harmonic humming rt. caliper

Just purchased an 88' cab with only 49k on it. All I can say is how happy I am (what a smile I have had since). Before I purchased the seller (who was driving only 2-3k year) told me of this harmonic humming noise from the rt. caliper sticking (his mechanic said living on salt water and no driving can cause it to stick). It was lubricated prior to sale but now making noise again. If it needs new calipers what are good choices for parts (location too) and what is it going to set me back? MAN I LOVE THIS CAR.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:17 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congratulations on your new Cab!

I am not familiar with "lubricating" a caliper...must be a Florida thing.

It sounds as if you need to rebuild the front calipers since you said you have a sticking caliper. It's much cheaper to rebuild than to replace. The rebuild kits are about $10 each. You only need to replace the caliper's if there is pitting on the caliper pistons or on the piston cylinder walls.

Bruce
Old 04-28-2003, 03:20 PM
gerry100
Pro

Smoak,

When I got my '86 I noticed a drone or hum from a rear caliper when costing to a stop. The sound disappeared when the brakes were applied. My guess was that the cause was a pad dragging on the rotor.

The sound disappeard when I replaced the Pads before DE event ( the thicker pads force the pistons back in the capilper some). I think the new pads and some hard braking at the track affected the cure.

The lube they are reffering to is some stuff you can put behind the pads to prevent squealing.

Before I spent big money on calipers, I'd try some vigourous driving and hard breaking, follwed by some new pade if you need'em. ($75 and a few hours on your garage floor).

Good luck
Old 04-28-2003, 03:24 PM
smoak
Intermediate

Thanks guys. Let me see if I can be a little more clear on the problem. The "lube" is a mystery to me too as I have never heard of this being done either. The humming or harmonic sound is heard while driving down the road at normal speed and is intermitent. It goes away immediately when I apply the brakes. It is coming from the right front. There is no other noise happening (ie., no squeek or noise from the area) when the brakes are applied. I really appreciate your assistance.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:58 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you checked the play on the spindle nut. It may be the wheel bearing is a little loose. When you apply the brake , it takes out all the slack. May not be the problem, but I'd check it out just to rule it out.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:13 PM
Von Kiser
Instructor

Smoak,
I had this EXACT problem on my 1986 coupe. Harmonic low whine and stopped when brakes were applied. This was caused by a sticking piston in the caliper. I would NOT suggest driving it too much as the heat could cause warpage in rotor. I don't think I would do spirited driving to cure it as it could come back and fail even worse or fail during your spirited drive...and then where would you be? A wrecked 911 over a $200 fix? I think not.... I opted to use this time to upgrade to brembos...but many people do not want to spend that type of money...I just got a heck of a deal on some good used ones.

Anyway...what I would suggest is getting all new(rebuilt) calipers. Many places such as Vertexauto.com sell these for $94.00 a piece + core. These rebuilt ones look great and are guaranteed. The whole job takes about 1 hour per wheel. The rebuild kit is much cheaper($28.00 for the pair) but takes longer and more messy. For under $200 bucks you can have guaranteed new calipers. Think about it....if you have any questions just email me.

--Von
bek1973@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Harmonic humming rt. caliper