Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Vacuum leak parts list

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007 | 11:09 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Default Vacuum leak parts list

A shop that worked on my very straight '82 SC told me that they couldn't get the CIS to adjust because it has vacuum leaks. Before I take the injection system all apart, I figure that I should have everything I need to repair it. I don't believe any of the parts that would contribute to this problem have ever been replaced so I'm planning to replace everything. Here's my part list so far:

6 - Rubber intake sleeves
6 - Injector O-Rings
6 - Injector Sleeve O-Rings
6 - Injector Sleeves
6 - Intake manifold gaskets
1 - Throttle body mounting O-Ring
1 - Airbox to sensor housing gasket

Can you fellow Rennlisters think of anything I may have missed?
Old 08-27-2007 | 09:31 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Default Bump

Got some good ideas from the Pelican boys. How 'bout it Rennlisters? Help a guy out?
Old 08-29-2007 | 10:52 AM
genripper
Instructor

I would add a couple of meters of the proper size vacuum hose and the airflow sensor boot. I'm accumulating the same pile of stuff for my 81 Zinc Metallic Targa.
Old 08-29-2007 | 12:23 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Default Does your car have the pop off valve mod?

Originally Posted by rbuswell
A shop that worked on my very straight '82 SC told me that they couldn't get the CIS to adjust because it has vacuum leaks. Before I take the injection system all apart, I figure that I should have everything I need to repair it. I don't believe any of the parts that would contribute to this problem have ever been replaced so I'm planning to replace everything. Here's my part list so far:

6 - Rubber intake sleeves
6 - Injector O-Rings
6 - Injector Sleeve O-Rings
6 - Injector Sleeves
6 - Intake manifold gaskets
1 - Throttle body mounting O-Ring
1 - Airbox to sensor housing gasket

Can you fellow Rennlisters think of anything I may have missed?
If so, it maybe leaking:

- at the installation joint (Most installers use an epoxy that is not compatible with the air box platic, so it lifts and creates a leak)
- at the big O-ring

Make sure this is not the culprit before you look at the other stuff. Ask me how I know.
Old 09-02-2007 | 11:43 AM
rbuswell
Pro

Default Good stuff

Originally Posted by genripper
I would add a couple of meters of the proper size vacuum hose and the airflow sensor boot. I'm accumulating the same pile of stuff for my 81 Zinc Metallic Targa.
Originally Posted by Marlon
If so, it maybe leaking:

- at the installation joint (Most installers use an epoxy that is not compatible with the air box platic, so it lifts and creates a leak)
- at the big O-ring

Make sure this is not the culprit before you look at the other stuff. Ask me how I know.
This appears to be pretty common issue. Reinstalled the pop-off valve with JB Weld after I ground down the fins around it so the base could be epoxied to the airbox and now it seems to be very solid. Got tons of help on Pelican as well. Man, I've got my work cut out for me if I'm going to keep CIS.

Last edited by rbuswell; 09-02-2007 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Missed answer to Marlon's question
Old 09-05-2007 | 12:30 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

All of the suggestions so far have been good, but before taking it all apart, figure out whether vacuum leaks are the source of the problem at all, and if so, where are they? It is definitely worth pitching a shop a few bucks to smoke test the intake system to find out exactly where any leaks may be. The smoke machine at my shop is perhaps the biggest timesaving tool we have, I use it almost every day. I am young, so these have been around since I started working on cars; I don't know how the oldtimers did without em! Carb cleaner is great for simple intake systems where you can see everything, but you can't spray it everywhere on a 911SC CIS system. Have someone smoke test it before you start taking things apart; replacing all that stuff may be a good idea anyway, but perhaps not entirely necessary.

Quick Reply: Vacuum leak parts list