Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

spray touch up paint or?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 09:12 PM
86NOH2O
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post spray touch up paint or?

I managed to go thru my black paint into primer when touching up a rock chip. I now have a spot the size of a quarter that needs fixing as the chip itself is fixed but I have primer showing around the edges. Only used 2000 grit paper and gently? Has anyone used the spray on touch up paint that is made from your actual color code? A touch up bottle with brush won't work, I've tried and it made it worse. Paint is super thin in middle of door area, had no problems anywhere else on the car.

Is 86' paint just primer then color or is there a third clear coat stage?

thanks for any tips, I can't believe I did this to my baby......

Should I take it to a shop or can I fix this? Know any Monterey CA area good paint shops?
Old 07-02-2003, 09:36 PM
onmy2ndsc
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get the exact color from a company called paintscratch.com. They will supply it in anything from a "paint pen" to a spray can or gallon with very good match results. Lightly rough sand the area, spray plenty around the "wound", go back and lightly wet sand with your 2000 grit, then use a 3M imperial compound with a white wool pad and 3M finesse-it with a yellow pad

You can do it, do not be afraid. Even if the wound got bigger, and you kept re-doing up to the whole hood panel, worst case you would need to get it professional done and you are asking about it at this stage. Professional painters do not tend to like doing "spot" repair so they would probably want to do the whole hood anyway.

Hope it helps!

Kevin

Quick Reply: spray touch up paint or?