Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

looking at this 86 911... advice/opinions welcome

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Hogan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at this 86 911... advice/opinions welcome

Today I went to look at 2 911's, one I pretty much knew was going to suck, and one I had a lot more faith in. I'm here to talk about the nice one. It's an 86 3.2, red, repainted 2 years ago (apparently the old paint was pretty faded and he had it painted at the same time he had the motor rebuilt), coupe. I really enjoyed it, it has a bunch of new parts, new fuel pump, battery, a whole bunch of stuff. I took a bunch of pictures of it and I thought I would show them to you guys to get your opinion, I'm going to tell him I want a PPI done before I completely decide, and I'm sure he will understand, he seems like a great guy, he's pretty young, but he has owned a 930, a 944, and this 911 which he has had for 10 years, he said he isn't selling this car to just anybody, he turned people away because he didn't feel they really wanted it, which is important to me. I want the seller to really like his car, otherwise I wonder whether I will like it myself. He's selling it because he's starting a business and he needs the extra start-up money, but in about a year or so he plans on getting back into another 930. He has all the receipts and records. There are 190k miles on the body, less than 100k on the rebuild, I don't remember exactly how much though... my bad. I think it will eventually need the 5th gear syncro rebuilt/replaced, it grinded a once or twice... but it could have been my fault, the 915 transmission takes some getting used to. Also, it smoked for a bit right as I start it, he said he only drives it like once a week, so it's because it had been sitting, and from what I can remember that is a legit reason since it's a flat 6 the oil settles, and then it gets burned off... once again, you all know more than me on the issue. I know that if I'm wrong it could be the piston rings, but, I let it cool down while I throughly looked it over, and I had only been driving it for 2 minutes before that, so I let it cool a bit, and when I started it again there was no smoke. He is asking $14,000 for it, he was originally asking $17k, but about a month ago someone took it for a test drive... had it for about an hour, and then when they brought it back, he found out they had stolen the A/C compressor... He has a new one on order, and he dropped the price because he isn't going to install it, but he's going to include it. Anyway, here are the pictures, I'm going to get a PPI before I do anything and I'll let you know how that turns out, but I wanted to hear initial opinions from you all first.

Oil line... no residue, no rust or corrosion... I'm just trying to be thorough

valve cover... once again... thorough

underneath... no cracks/holes in the exhaust

no rust in the floor pans, underneath the car, on the door sills, valences, under the hood in the front of the car... anywhere.

really clean interior... there is one little rip on the side bolster, the part that gets rubbed whenever you get in and out of the car... I'm not too concerned about it.

polished fuchs, I tend to like the traditional black ones, but these do look nice.

Basically, I think it's a pretty good car for the money, but I could be wrong. Thanks guys.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:32 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a nice car, but sounds a little fishy to me. He says he had the motor rebuilt 2 years ago, same time as a repaint, but can only say that there are < 100K miles on the motor? In 2 years? The story about someone stealing the AC compressor sounds odd too. Not sure why you'd drop the price $3K just because of a missing compressor. I think I'd walk.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Hogan
Intermediate

I mean I agree it sounds a bit sketchy but I decided I would check, I'll probably get a carfax as well as a PPI on Monday, then we can see if this car is a ticking time bomb, or just a good deal because the paint isn't original... I guess I'll find out.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:23 AM
Hogan
Intermediate

That being said does anyone know of a good place to get a PPI done... more specifically in the DC area. Like would any shop that I trust do? Like one I have taken everything from my GTI and Suburban to my mom's Camry. Or should I try and find a more specialized shop, I know a more specialized shop is ideal, but would the former be at least a reliable way to tell if the car is worth it?
Old 08-19-2007, 02:43 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Find a Porsche shop. Maybe find your local PCA region website to find either advertising shop(s) or contacts who could refer you somewhere. Someone here will likely be able to refer you as well. These are specialized and special cars, your run-of-the-mill auto shop is not going to know enough about them to know what to look for.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:34 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hogan yep sounds fishy - PM me the VIN i will run it.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:35 AM
D.C.
Instructor

Several people here have recommended IMA Motorsports in Fairfax.
I have never used them as I try to do all my own work.

IMA Motorsport
2928 C Prosperity Avenue
Fairfax, Virginia 22031
703.849-9120 fax
Ivan Arzola
Old 08-20-2007, 01:36 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would look for signs of major accident repair underneath. VIN research may reveal this, but not always. Are the fender gaps perfectly even?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think I would buy a 86 Cab in Exceelent condition

such as mine
Old 08-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Mad_AL
Intermediate

16k is a steal, wish i lived overseas to collect the beauty
Old 08-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

I have used IMA for PPI in the past, very thorough. There is also Stan Fox @ RPM in Newington VA (close to the 95, 395, 495 mixing bowl) who I trust very much. ASG has done well by folks but I have no experience w/ them.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, don't cheap it. Get a PPI AND leakdowns on the engine (~$200 vs ~$400). IT IS WORTH IT.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Denise993
Pro

I ONLY take my car to ASG:

2810-F Dorr Avenue
Fairfax, VA 22031
Phone: 703.876.2811

A friend of mine had a 928 and got totally hosed by RPM. I don't know IMA.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:45 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Did I miss something? this car should have a G50 not a 915 and if he was expecting you he would have probably started it before you got there which normally would clear up any startup smoke. Could need valve guides.
Of course he is a nice guy,he wants your money.
And has he posted on rennlist?

Do I sound like a jewish mother?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

It will have a 915 not a g50

Quick Reply: looking at this 86 911... advice/opinions welcome