Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Turn Signal Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007 | 09:11 PM
early85944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Issues

Tried the search but I did not find what I was looking for. The turn signals do not work. Here the list of what does and does not.
Does work
1. Emergency flashers
2. Turn signals illumate when ignition is off

Doesn't work
1. Turn signals, no relay tickng either
2. Lights indicating turn signal on tach(they do work with the emergency flashers)
3. Horn quit at same time

I thought it might be a ground issue? Any help would be much appreciated.
I already checked the fuses.
Old 08-16-2007 | 01:26 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I can see how if both the turn signals and the horn quit at once, one would think the problem is related. I only have my crappy Bentley 911SC manual with me at home (I know your car is a '76 but much of the basic wiring is the same), and it says the horn contact and the hazard flasher share ground G5, which is in luggage compartment below the fuel filler tube. It would definitely be worth checking out.

However, your problems w/ the turn signal sounds exactly like a bad hazard flasher switch. The power for the turn signals goes through the switch, and if the contacts inside are burnt up, then it is possible for the hazards to work when the switch is in the hazard position, but the turn signal won't, yet the side indicator lights will stay on w/ they key off if the turn signal switch is closed either way. I have seen this several times. If cleaning ground G5 doesn't help, pull the hazard switch out of the dash and take a peek at it.

---Chris A.
Old 08-16-2007 | 09:06 AM
early85944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chris

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Issues