Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How to determine the value of a 1973 911 Trackable Roller ("RS Replica" body)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:20 PM
jeff_c
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to determine the value of a 1973 911 Trackable Roller ("RS Replica" body)

I am looking at a roller later this week of a Replica 1973 RS based on a 1973 911 (not sure what type). It is setup as a track car (rollbar and racing seats with harnesses). The body looks to be in great condition with a nice paint job based on the pics I've seen. It supposedly has a ton of upgrades like large 'turbo' brakes and a full sport suspension.

Oh and it has a 3.2 motor with a spun rod.

That is pretty much all I know until I see the car and interview the seller but I was curious if those of you with more experience with this era of pcar could give me some guidance on what a fair price would be or what questions I would need answered in order to determine a fair price.

I guess I should mention I am looking for a project car and I am not afraid to get dirty (actually looking forward to it) or spend a few bucks to have a nice toy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by jeff_c; 08-15-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A '73 RS replica is just that - a fake. However, the great (crazy) long hood market has pulled those cars along with the others. Obviously any value will be in the details, such as a proper 2.7 liter, magnesium case, MFI motor. Anything less is going to get a big price reduction. Items like door panels, seats and other interior appointments are also important, as are the correct period Fuchs alloys finished correctly. You have to decide if the car is a used-up long hood race car, or something that you can create an RS replica with. As it sits, I don't think that it deserves the title "replica," unless it has a build sheet that proves that it's one of the original 1580 '73 RSs. If that's the case you better prepare to write a six-figure check!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

FWIW, we saw a one owner stock '70 911 2.2 coupe for sale in san diego last week at $20,000. very hot looking car.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I don't agree with PZ. These cars if done well are worth money - as determined by the market. It does not need a 2.7L to be of value.

Add up the retail parts prices of all the good stuff on it. Take 1/3 to 1/2 of that and add it to the value of the shell (or whatever is left stock). That will give you an idea of what it may sell for in the market. Often, these cars will go for $30k or more with a nice motor. Of course, some guy put $50k to $70k into it...

Another valuation technique is to estimate the cost to return it to stock. Subtract that from the value of a stock car. Then add the value you can get if you resell those parts. Parts made by SRP or Wevo are exemplary and will bring good money if sold. Same for erp and Elephant Racing. Parts made by Wletmeister, Target, etc. are not worth much.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:53 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

I think the car you are looking at needs to be priced along with track prepped cars, not as a 73 RS replica....JMHO...
Old 08-14-2007, 09:18 PM
jeff_c
Instructor

All good points. I know it is not a real RS or even a stock 911 anymore which basically leaves me with what? I like the idea of trying to calc the cost of returning to stock and adding up the value of the extra parts.

To flatsixnut's point...since this will probably end being my track car (I knew DE wasn't going to be that far away when I got the 996 ) what should I expect to pay for a decent trackable roller with some nice bits?
Old 08-14-2007, 09:30 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
I think the car you are looking at needs to be priced along with track prepped cars, not as a 73 RS replica....JMHO...
Yeah, I would drop the replica BS from the conversation and treat it for what it is: a 73 911 track car with a blown engine.

Steve
64 356C race
84 Carrera
Old 08-14-2007, 11:59 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

If I thought it wouldn't **** the owner off, I might offer $5k for it since the most expensive part is busted. OTOH, it IS an early chassis - that adds value. A lot will depend on how much it costs to fix the non- original motor.

Find out the VIN and see if it is a T, E, or S. An S is worth quite a bit these daze - even with a different motor. One could always find a 2.4L motor from a '73 S and put that in and only the COA would tell it was not original; hence, many buyers would want it for - say - $35k or more.

If the bottom drops out of this tulip-bulb market then all those type bets are off.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:12 AM
jeff_c
Instructor

Ok I changed the subject of this thread to better fit the situation and once I get a better read on the car after the PPI being done today or tomorrow I'll post more details.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff
Old 08-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Randy; the point I was trying to make was the valuation difference between a running, "correct" replica and a '73 911 with a blown motor. You're correct, the car doesn't need a 2.7 liter to have value, but it does need a good motor no matter what the displacement. I was just trying to point out that, to the largest segment of potential buyers, that the car would be worth more, to me anyway, with an MFI 2.7 than a 3.2. I for one am very interested in preserving the magic of a '73 RS, possibly the highest, narrow-bodied, art form of the entire long hood 911 line. Being a self-admitted purist I would prefer to see the "RS" tag dropped from all but the most accurate replica examples. Cheers!
Old 08-15-2007, 12:55 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good points here - to protect oneself from over-valueing, thinking of it as a long-nose track-car w/ a blown motor & lotsa questions (history? tranny?) is the safe approach. an expert in these particular cars (early 911s, from survivors to racers to real RSs, mechanical & chassis) is needed for a useful PPI.

when I read your post, my first thought was, "is this car worth more or less than $10K?". I tend to lean more toward Randy's $5K view (while agreeing w/ Pete on "what makes a real RS replica?"), & I wouldn't be too sensitive about pissing off the owner, either.

I have seen a very nice RS-styled '73T (street car) w/ 3.2 go for mid $20Ks in the past year.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:14 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

"the point I was trying to make was the valuation difference"

I agree in principle. We've got 3 categories:
- 1. Real RS (used to be $40k, then 80, then 100+... now??)
- 2. Replica of a RS that looks really close (but is not a mis-represented fake)
- 3. Rgruppe type car or "Outlaw" - I think the value here would vary depending on how well it is done. It might be worth more than a car from category 2 (think of Jack O's car for example). Also, Jim Calzia's, Grant G's, or some of the cars from the Gamrothians and others... It might be worth $30 (or mid-20's (see just above)) to $40k for a real nice one. Nice will vary - my point is that there is a market for outlaws (Didn't Willie & Waylon prove that in the '70s?) and it is to some extent separate from the market for concoursmobiles.

The car here would be somewhere in #3 but the motor is blown.

Anyway - there are various ways to value the car as noted above, so he can calculate the various ways & see how far apart they are. If it sells for 2x what he offers, then we have another data point...

BTW - try to find out how long it's been for sale!

Quick Reply: How to determine the value of a 1973 911 Trackable Roller ("RS Replica" body)