Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Installing a 3.2 in 82SC

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:40 AM
meltonis
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a 3.2 in 82SC

Is there any information available explaining how to install the DME wiring harness into an early SC? I am about to install an 84 3.2 engine into my 82SC, and I don't want to make any big mistakes by burning out the wiring harness or the DME!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 483 Posts

Mine is an 82sc with an 87 3.2 in it...my DME wiring harness is run from under the drivers seat into the rear engine compartment. what info did you need exactly?
Old 08-15-2007, 12:05 PM
meltonis
5th Gear

Well, I understand that the wiring harness needs to connect to the DME under the driver's seat when I install it. But I also understand that the electrical connections on the 3.2 engine are diferent in the 82SC. What wiring changes need to be made to the connectors on the 82SC to insure that this conversion works without problems? The are some long wires (I think 3 of them) that need to also go to the front of the car. I guess to the fuse box or the igniton switch! I understand the basic electronic connections, but I guess I need a little wiring diagram, or color coded pin-outs to change the wires in the plugs themselves. I would appreciate ANY help that you can give me! The car and engine has been sitting here in my garage TOO long! HELP!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

If I took pictures what pictures would help you???
Old 08-15-2007, 11:14 PM
meltonis
5th Gear

Default Cut & Disconnected wires

Yes, that would definitely help! Most of the cabling is straight forward, because the connectors only fit on place on the engine. But, there are a few wires that have been either disconnected or cut, and I have no idea where they would go to the front of the car.
These are the wires:
1. Red with a spade connectorwhich screws down someplace. I am assuming to a positive connection someplace.
2. Female connector with yellow/purple/black/black wires in it.
3. Connector with a green/yellow stripe.
4. Red with a green stripe which has been cut.
5. Black with a red stripe which has also been cut.

I really do appreciate this help! You guys are GREAT!! "Rennlist", and "Pelican" members are extremely knowledgeable and very forthcoming with information which help tremendously in doing thigs just like this!

Thanks Again
Ozzie

Originally Posted by fty
If I took pictures what pictures would help you???
Old 08-16-2007, 01:12 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the black with purple stripe go to the tach? Anyone?
Old 08-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Do you want a picture of the fuse box or are you working with stuff under the dash???

The only thing under the dash that will be changed should be tach and oil pressure, oil level and temp guage..... that should be it...the rest is...wired to the front of the car...gas guage and speedometer....hope that helps..
Old 08-16-2007, 03:59 PM
meltonis
5th Gear

Ok, but I don't want to change anything if possible. I am only concerned with the 84 Carrera wiring harness and the DME right now. The wires and connectors in question, are on that wiring harness which I am attempting to install in the 82SC Targa. I just don't know WHERE to run the loose wires from the harness to the dash area! Especially the ones which were cut! And, if the wires in one of the connectors need to switched around, to work in the car, I need to know that also. I just want/need to know what MUST change to get that harness installed into the car correctly. If one of those wires will go to the fuse box, I guess I will need to know which fuse block it connects. I am probably not explaining the problem very well I guess. I was hoping that some pictures would help! Thanks!

Ozzie

Originally Posted by fty
Do you want a picture of the fuse box or are you working with stuff under the dash???

The only thing under the dash that will be changed should be tach and oil pressure, oil level and temp guage..... that should be it...the rest is...wired to the front of the car...gas guage and speedometer....hope that helps..
Old 08-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

ok lemme crawl under the dash...I feel your pain about not being able to run the car....mine was sitting for 3 weeks waiting for a fresh fuel pump, and a new bumper smile among other little things....finally all together today and it still has a hiccup in it.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

cant find anything that matches that under the dash...mines a euro 3.2 would it make a difference????
Old 08-16-2007, 11:56 PM
meltonis
5th Gear

I guess it could, but I think it would be much easier to trace the few wires which do NOT go back to the engine compartment, and is NOT in the connector that attaches/goes to the DME!! They would be going towards the dash area somewhere, and those are the wires that are giving me trouble, I think one gives power to the DME itself (red), and the others control something which is used on the engine, like the A/C, cruise control, etc..!! These are the ONLY wires which do NOT have an obvious female/male connector so a mistake could possibly be made! The color code of the wires could be different I guess. If you could just tell me WHERE these wires connect unders the dash/fusebox, THAT would also help! I am sorry to keep asking you these questions, it is frustrating that I can't get this car running because of these few wires!!

Originally Posted by fty
cant find anything that matches that under the dash...mines a euro 3.2 would it make a difference????

Quick Reply: Installing a 3.2 in 82SC