Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Why does my 911 stink like gas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 11:49 PM
1980SC
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Why does my 911 stink like gas?

Whenever I add gas to my '80SC, I have to wind down the window for a few miles because the cabin smells heavily of gasoline. Does anyone know why this may be happening? A clogged vent line or something? It happens no matter how much fuel I add, even if only a few gallons to bring the tank to half full.

- Rob
'80 911SC (with fire extinguisher)
Old 01-04-2002, 12:32 AM
Chris Lovell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a look at a post I had a while back called "gas fumes in cabin". Lots of thoughts there. Mostly around checking the gas cap for a proper rubber gasket.
Good luck and don't smoke.
CL
Old 01-04-2002, 01:37 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Chris is right on target. Had a similiar problem a couple of years ago in my '84 911; a new gas cap solved the gas fumes problem.

Bruce
Old 01-04-2002, 02:41 PM
Hugh
Advanced

I had a similar problem with my '84 911 and it turned out to be something more serious: a cracked gas tank. Right where the filler tube meets the tank, there were very small cracks from a prior accident. I'd just bought the car, which had been represented otherwise, so the seller paid for me to have a new gas tank installed, among other things. No more fumes.

In the process of tracking the problem, I heard of a couple other possibilities: the gas cap mentioned above, and also the emissions crap stewn throughout the car - hoses, charcoal canisters, overflow cells, etc. These things wear out and leak, just like anything else.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2002, 02:58 PM
1980SC
Advanced

Ah, thanks everyone. Along with the info I got when I ran a search on "gas fumes in cabin", I now have plenty of ideas. I should be able to track it down now. Thanks !

- Rob
Old 01-05-2002, 06:47 PM
J.Michael Patanne
7th Gear

Rob,
I have a 1981SC. I haven't had the gas cap problem, but here's 2 that I had: 1) there's a small rubber hose that goes into the fuel pressure regulator. It was old and brittle and eventually cracked. I had a hard time looking for a replacement because most parts pictures show that line to be a metal piece. I eventually found a similar hose from a VW dealer. 2) Fuel lines to and from the fuel pump. Same cause: dry & brittle. That was a lot of fun replacing. If the leak is bad, you will see it from underneath the car. Let me know what you find out.

J.Michael
Old 01-10-2002, 10:02 PM
Dshaw7@mindspring.com
1st Gear

Question

Don't know if this applies but, I have a 1971 911E and had the same problem. There is a gas box under the hood tucked in front of the gauges on the driver's side. This is a plastic box I am guessing to collect the fumes from the tank and filler . When I took mine out it had a small crack in it where the hose attaches from the gas tank. When I filled this crack the smell went away.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:11 PM
1980SC
Advanced

Work has prevented me from having the time to really search for the leak yet, but I have found that if I leave the front hood open when I fill up, then the gas smell inside has been seriously reduced. This leads me to think that the fumes are venting into the cargo area while I am pumping gas, and then seep into the interior afterward. It probably is a crack in one of those hoses, or containers near the filler neck.
Hopefully I can get to it soon...

- Rob
1980SC
Old 01-12-2002, 04:53 PM
kksarver
Intermediate

Check the large and small fuel lines that go to the expansion tank located in the left front fender well. (Removing the wheel makes this much easier) On my 86 911 Carerra they were dry rotted.

Good luck
Old 02-28-2002, 02:41 PM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had exactly the same problem on my 1980 SC: After filling up, the interior smelled gas for a while. I found the source: Next to the main filling line where you put the nozzle, there is a set-up for venting. Inside the trunk, some small hoses with clamps attach to a small plastic container. One of the hoses had a leak.

Quick Reply: Why does my 911 stink like gas?