Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need help with 911 SC purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LaughaC
"Castrol Trans Oil is fine... Swepco...MAY work just fine..." ????

I so confused!! I know that I read somewhere to ONLY use Swepco and ordered that. Opinions may vary, but I'm about to drain the synthetic from my 915 and have purchased Swepco to go in it. Maybe someone can direct me to a string where this debate was settled.
haha. Good luck finding that thread.

Brett
Old 08-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a customer who ran my transmissions in his SCCA car and his IMSA GTU car (901/915 type synchros) with LSD set at 80% for short tracks, 50% for long tracks. He would only use StaLube 75/90W GL-5 - we never had a failure. I think he bought the stuff at Pep Boys!
Old 08-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Tate
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well with the various opinions on the trans oil, I guess I should just try both and see what the analysis says and how it feels.

One thing I noticed during my test try, is these cars are difficult to heel and toe, but than again from the sounds of things, it seems these cars are NOT to be driven this way. It's very different from my 318is that's for sure!

Oh and to answer the question if I'm feeling lucky...what is luck? Never depended on such a thing. That's why I'm coming to everyone here for advice. You can't replace experience and knowledge with luck.

However, the advice is very good to use dino oil which I'll try first, and I do believe that's what is in there now. I just need to change it, so I can get an accurate start on the mileage for the oil analysis. I hope I don't fine shavings on the magnetic drain plug!

Oh and yes, I don't plan on doing any mods unitl I have had some quality time with this car. Just wanting to know what is out there and to separate the good from the bad. I did notice that on 911.com there is a very expensive HFM...for $2,700! Is anyone running that in their car? Is it worth it?

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Quick Reply: Need help with 911 SC purchase?