Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Porsche Parade "Bad" Experience!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:39 PM
roger's 2937
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Parade "Bad" Experience!!

I was a paid registrant for the 52nd Porsche Parade in San Diego and a few days prior to the event I had an emergency open heart surgery and was unable to attend the event. I've tried to reach the Registrar on several occasions by phone and e-mail with no response to try to get my registration money refunded($175). I have never been able to get any responses so I called a couple of the regional members and found out that there just aren't any refunds regardless of the reasons.

This seems to be a very inequitable and unfriendly way to run club and when my membership comes up for renewal I'll certainly have second thoughts. Seems as though the almighty dollar is more important than membership services.

I am wondering if any of you folks have had a similar experience and if there is anything that can be done to rectify the situation?

Thanks-Roger B.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:02 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Keep trying by phone.
Probably the reason you weren't able to reach them by phone is that they were all making thier way to the Parade.

If there is ANY reason for a refund, something like this has got to be it.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope everything works out with you and your heart work. I have always had good luck with PCA. I think it is a GREAT organization. The reason you probably can't get your money back is because they probably spent it already.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

If the event was sold out nobody could take your place and pca was out the money. Sad but it happens. If had concert tickets would you get a refund?
Old 07-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,329 Likes on 492 Posts

Hope all is well, health wise.....I would expect a full refund due to the circumstances..get someone on the horn...and see whats up.....Hopefully you get a "gentlemen" on the otherside that is understanding of the situation. If you dont get a refund.....tell them the next porsche parade you attend is gonna be the one that goes straight up his ***.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:30 AM
jester911
Drifting

No offense but it seems that in the scheme of things stressing about $175 at this moment may not be a great idea.
Hopefully all is well health wise. Good luck
Old 07-29-2007, 11:46 AM
yogi
Advanced

PCA has about 1 million dollars in assets. They should be able to refund this person $175.

Jerry Baer
87 coupe
Old 07-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,329 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by yogi
PCA has about 1 million dollars in assets. They should be able to refund this person $175.

Jerry Baer
87 coupe

exactly.....Its bad buisness if they cant return your 175 bucks.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:14 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Default He has a point

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
If the event was sold out nobody could take your place and pca was out the money. Sad but it happens. If had concert tickets would you get a refund?
I'm sorry to say but this is a +1 as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

You certainly win the award for best reason not to attend. Must have shocked the heck out of you.

How are you doing, BTW ?

Oh, yeah. Welcome to the rest of your life. From here on in, it's all a gift.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:38 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

roger's 2937:

Sorry to hear of the recent health issues. I hope your recovery is going well.

As someone directly involved with the Parade in San Diego (My wife and I hosted one of the evening events) I can tell you that there was a great deal of work to be done just getting everyone registered and placed in the events they wanted to go to. This was one of the largest ... if not the largest attendance of any Parade. The Registrar's office was swamped with hundreds of emails and phone calls daily for months leading up to, and during the first few days of the event. To make it more challenging, San Diego was required to put on a 5-day Parade instead of the traditional 7-day Parade. AND, although "National" wanted San Diego to present a 5 day Parade, they didn't want anything deleted, removed, or changed from the 7-day events list/itinerary. So, more work for the Registrars to work with "sqweezing" everyone in where they wanted to go in less time.

Another thing: to the best of my knowledge, there is no clear "Emergency Reimbursement" policy in place for special circumstances such as yours. To that end, the SD Registrar may be working hard to find a solution to your very unique situation. There may be a need for the people in SDR to contact the National Parade people to work something out. I don't know for sure.

Perhaps you can contact the National Parade Committee directly and explain your circumstances: vpentecost@cableone.net. They may wish to handle this delicate matter directly. SDR was limited to the protocols set forth by the National Parade Committee. Perhaps your resolution lies with National directly.

As someone who's been an active volunteering member for years, I can tell you that sometimes the beaurocratic systems of a club so large can be frustrating and daunting. The Parade Rules are some of the most difficult to manage of all the National rules. Don't give up. Keep trying. And, don't let one area of an otherwise good club get you down.

Finally, don't blame the hard-woring folks of the SDR. They held one of the largest and most challenging Parades in the PCA history (with only one key Registrar ... she was really busy!!). I think SDR members shares your frustration with respect to policy and implementation regarding the Parade.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Roger, I truely hope all is well with your recovery. I was 21 when I had my first heart attack (and second, third, and fourth). At 22 I got my first pacemaker. I am now 40 and have managed to stay alive. I guess I just want to say be glad you are alive to see another day and hope to see you at the next big event. tell you what, next week I'll break the speed limit just for you on the 15,76,5,101,8,163,805 and all the way down the silver strand.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:12 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley
Oh, yeah. Welcome to the rest of your life. From here on in, it's all a gift.

Roger, Sincere best wishes on your health. Go "Skydiving" & make the most of it.

As for the refund, yeah, that would irk me as well, but I can also understand the vendor's point of view also - where do they draw the line? Unfortunately it's probably spelled out on their refund policy & it'd open up the precedent floodgates potentially if they make an exception. I do hope that if you pursue it, they grant that exception.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

The biggest problem with this situation is that no one person can really make a decision. For that reason, it will take time and patience on your part to work it out.
I deal with people going through your recent situation every day... Some of them aren't "lucky" enough to have open heart surgery. My advice if your willing to listen - breath in - breath out, let it go. You took a bullet and lived. If the money comes back great. If not, you lived to go to another Parade...
Old 07-30-2007, 03:03 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Roger, I sure hope you are doing well! I'm not a member of PCA, but I view this situation the same way I would assess a vendor when "something goes wrong". Sure, they can go "by the book" and be perfectly within their rights, or they can "do the right thing". I know what my reaction (and almost EVERYONE else I know) would be if they continue to take a hardline stance under these circumstances. Good luck, but don't hold your breath, and let it (them) go if they don't (...it just isn't worth it)!

Quick Reply: Porsche Parade "Bad" Experience!!