Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

AC on 964 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 03:01 PM
Chuck Nilsen
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AC on 964 question

OK, this may seem a crazy question, but where is the AC condensor coil on a 964 w/ teh electric wing? I am looking at my SC, and the coil is under the vent of the rear deck. Looking at a 964 deck, I don't seen where it might mount. I was thinking of working on some way of retrofitting this, but perhaps it is not possible.

Maybe if I switched to a 964 condensor as well?

Thanks!

Chuck
Old 08-06-2001, 03:38 PM
Bryan Moore
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck -

I don't think it's a crazy question at all - It's the same one I've been asking for several weeks now. I want to put a Carrera tail on my '80 SC but my wife thinks it's just too much - aesthetically. Since I need something on the rear to balance out the front chin spoiler for DE events, the 964 decklid/wing seemed like a good compromise - it's there when you need it and invisible when you don't. Based on my research - talking to lots of folks but I haven't been able to find a 964 to do a comparison with - the decklid itself seems to be an easy swap (as long as you use the 964 hinges). All indications are, however, that the SC A/C condenser is not going to fit under the 964 decklid. Jack Olsen (member #858) has done the conversion on his '73 and it looks super but as far as I can tell, he doesn't have A/C. Like you, I wonder where the A/C condenser is in a 964 (maybe in the left front fender?). I did talk to the folks at Griffiths after seeing their "Mr. Ice" project on the website. They added a third condenser (in the left rear fender) to an SC in search of really low temperatures. I surmised that I might be able to eliminate the decklid condenser and replace it with one in the rear fender. Although they said it is feasible, the new condenser would have less area than the one in the decklid with a consequent reduction in cooling capacity - something and SC can scarse afford. Another complication, of course is that it would be the right time to replace the hoses/compressor and convert to R-134 - Griffiths seat-of-the-pants estimate for the A/C portion (hoses, compressor, fender condenser) was $1700. Added to the cost of the 964 decklid ($600-$1000), this gets to be a pricey modification. A Carrera tail and $1000 to do A/C hoses/compressor looks like a bargin by comparison. For the time being, I'm still researching it but haven't made a decision on which way to go.
Old 08-06-2001, 07:20 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
I should have the AC installed in my 911 by end of the day Wednesday. I'm running an updated front condenser, as well as a 964 condenser in the rear driver's side fender. I couldn't put one in the front driver's side fender because I have a second oil cooler up there.

The trick with the rear condenser is finding room for it, and also ducting enough air to it. Since I don't have the 964 heater blower in my car (doesn't fit when you swap a 964 engine into an early car), I am (or rather Dave Bouzaglou at TRE Automotive is) putting a squirrel cage blower back there with ducting to the rear-mounted condenser.

My car is pretty unique, and it's been a fairly involved installation. But I would guess with an SC that you could add a 964 condenser to the front driver's side wheelwell, or one of those large flat under-body condensers, and be done with it.

Jack Olsen
My Rennlist home page My Pelican Gallery page My Porsche Owners Gallery page
Old 08-07-2001, 12:46 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Chuck, your AC condensor is located in the left front fenderwell, as a previous thread stated.

Bryan, in regards to adding the electric wing to your SC to "balance out the front chin spoiler for DE events" - this is NOT what you want to do...okay, get ready for my opinion. Bryan, the 964 electric wing provides little to NO downforce, it is for engine cooling after 50mph. It just ducts air down over the engine at higher speeds.

While it is a neat upgrade to older 911s, I hope people aren't planning for the "rear spoiler effect" afforded by the Turbo and Carrera "whale tails". Consider a Carrera "1" style whale tail? It is not as "viscious looking" as a 930 tail, and is the proper compliment to the front chin spoiler.

I had a 930 tail on my '82 SC and attended several DE events w/it, it felt nice and balanced...although I realize the 930 tail may have been a little much, I thought it looked pretty neat.

You will have a problem mounting your AC condensor under the electric wing as well...but I'm sure w/this bunch...somebody will figure out how to! Good luck.

Quick Reply: AC on 964 question