Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rear Deck latch

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 02:13 PM
Adamred1908SC
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Rear Deck latch

Just noticed after a couple of spirited drives that after pulling into my garage the rear deck lid sitting open, not all the way popped open, just not sealed.

First time thought I didn't close it properly next time realized that it must be the latch.

Is this an easy DIY? Any tricks to consider? Should I replace both the upper and lower parts or just the lower?

Adam
Old 11-11-2002, 03:06 PM
Jim Florance
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same problem, I've played a little bit with the latch alignment with little success. Thanks for bring this up. I'll be watching to see what advice you get. Maybe It will help me

Jim.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:46 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Adamred, it sounds like the cable needs to be adjusted. What you need to do is make sure the cable is straight. Sometimes the end of it is bent back after the set screw is tightened. Straighten it and loosen the the screw tension on the wire cable and pull the cable back just a little to let the mechanism go to the neutral position. If the bottom latch mechanism is too tight or too loose, the latch will not hold. Try moving it back and forth with you fingers and you will see what I mean. Once it is in the neutral position, tighten the screw down onto the wire. You may have to do it a couple of times before it's where you want it.

The top latching mechanism has the cone shaped lip sticking out and when it drops into the bottom mechanism, the bottom mechanism should have enough spring in it to hold the top mechanism. That is why the whole thing has to be neutral. When applying pressure with your fingers either way, you will see how the bottom mechanism moves. A little movement either direction causes it to move from the latching area. Let me know how you come out.

Also a note: while you have the wire (cable) loose, you may want to slide it out and lubricate it. To do so, open the left door and gently pull the handle forward and remove the handle and wire. I use a good high temperature grease and grease the hell out of it. Reassembly is the reverse of removal. Feed the wire through the hole (be careful and use a paper towel to catch any excess grease) and push wire back in all way. Reinsert wire in bottom mechanism and make sure all is neutral. Tighten the screw and you are done.

Spider911
88 Carrera
Old 11-12-2002, 06:30 PM
Allen70SSan Diego
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings.

I had the same problem with my 911. The final dash to home has a hard left with an immediate uphill jog. This simultaneously inputs both pitch and roll into the "flexible" Targa chassis,which caused the lid to pop open about 50% of the time. Tried Porsche body shop cleaning/adjustment of the mechanism a couple times, which didn't last. Thirty plus years of wear flat out wouldn't cut it. Body guy recommended replacing upper and lower latch parts with 80's vintage new parts and havn't had a problem since. Gregg PALMER at 858-279-6404 (sAN dIEGO)did the work and could tell you the specific part recommendation. --- gOOD lUCK

Quick Reply: Rear Deck latch