Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

door window glass

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007 | 02:57 PM
Caspert80
Track Day

Default door window glass

The glass in the passenger side door has come "unglued" from it's base. By this I mean that there is a metal piece in the operating mechanism that seems that it should be glued to the glass and the glass has come unglued and fell out.

Can I just put new glue in the slot and reset the glass into it, or do I need to remove the piece to glue it. Also what glue would be recommended..

TIA

Ralph
1980SC
Old 07-17-2007 | 03:32 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Officially, you're looking at replacing the window regulator, likely converting from parallel arms to cross-arms as the parallels are NLA.

Unofficially... I had the same thing happen on my '84 last year. $5 worth of clear silicone in the bottom "U" channel where the glass seats has kept her in business for a year & ~10k miles so far. Still going...

Be careful not to silicone anyplace that needs to be clear / lubed. Make sure nothing's bent in there too. A mirror & flashlight is your friend.
Old 07-17-2007 | 03:43 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I agree, try the silicon route (you can even use that adhesive they use to glue mirrored tiles onto walls and ceilings if you want a more "permanent" solution to the problem). However, if you use the later be darn sure you follow the "Be careful not to silicon anyplace that needs to be clear/lubed." disclaimer even more faithfully as that stuff isn't easy to remove if you get into something important.
Old 07-17-2007 | 10:12 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Mine's been done with that polyurethane they use to bond windscreens into later model cars. Any car glass place should sell you a tube.
Old 07-18-2007 | 11:47 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

This happened to my car, and my mechanic re-glued the glass in the typical fashion (according to him), but I have no idea what he used. Something rather durable, I believe.

Quick Reply: door window glass