Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

low priority lighter question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts
Default low priority lighter question

My lighter socket doesn't work , not a big deal as I don't smoke. I did go to plug in my blackberry the other day ( invented and built in Kitchener Ontario about 10 minutes from my house ...shamless plug for Canada ) and oops .. no workie..

I took a quick look and no access from under the dash .. do i have to take the whole fresh air blower system out to get to the lighter ? that would truely SUCK.

TIA
Old 07-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

first of all "theiceman" if that really is your name? you have to give us more info and pictures. you have to help us help you.

(hey everyone, Ice is really wanting to try out his new radar detector)
Old 07-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

When I had mine apart IIRC, it was from the center vent location with the dash removed.

Interesting note #1 that might be helpful:
It seems that those crafty German auto builders have struck again when it comes to the lighter sockets in our beloved 911s. By this I mean that they look VERY close to the 'typical' lighter socket, but alas, they are not.
The ID of the hole is slightly larger than that of the 'typical' lighter socket, thus the plug end of many of todays' modern electronics will not fit snugly enough for the pins to make proper contact. A slim plastic sleeve used to be available from the cell phone companies, but they too have apparently gone the way of the Dodo.

Solution for the above is actually quite easy AND inexpensive!
Get yourself a 'cigarette lighter socket extension cord' at your local aouto parts place and clip off the male end. Fish the wire through the firewall to the battery and connect it straight to the source (fused connection of course!). I hid the wire in the car under the floormat next tot he center console. The female end hides under the front edge of the passenger seat.

I like this approach because I can continue to charge my phone under the seat while I go inside the store, etc. and it doesn't bring the attention to my 'stuff' that a power cord dangling from the dash seems to.
+++
Old 07-17-2007, 12:02 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Dan that seams a whole lot easier than taking the dash out to fix the lighter. In fact there was one there when i got the car and ripped it out because i considered it amateurish ... now of course i will be eating crow and putting it back ... at least i know where the hole is to fish it through.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:35 AM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before digging too deep, did you check the fuse? Just thought I'd ask. After that, you can actually unscrew the gut of the lighter socket. Just grab it with your fingers inside and turn counter clockwise. Once it is out, use a multimeter to find the break. I fixed mine that way.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

ah ha ,,,, I will get at from the front themn .....

as an aside ( Hi jacking my own thread ) . I noticed last night one of my plate lights was out , took it apart to find both sockets were melted due to PO putting wrong light bulb in I imagine .. requires a 5W no idea what is in their .. may be worth 5 minutes for you guys to double check . I may be able to recover my sockets ( read .. remelt and reform ... )
Old 07-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ice: We used to stock a boxful of license plate lights, even with 5W bulbs they will eventually melt, especially on cars regularly used at night. The fuse for your lighter is next to the fuel pump fuse, toward the front of the car, and should be 16 amps. Remember to remove it in order to check for corrosion. If you need to get to the housing, you: (1) unsnap the trunk carpet under the cowl, (2) remove four 6mm bolts (10mm wrench size) and pull the cardboard panel that covers the fresh air blower out of the way. You will probably have to do a partial removal of the blower/hoses, but not all of it.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks Pete

i will take a look at the lighter and see if I can fix her up .

The lights are totally , melted, I guess 30 years will do that to a housing . there is not much room in there for heat to escape.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Well I unscrewed the guts and it screwed rght out ... of course the other piece on the back fell down so now I am taking the blower out , and i noticed it is also behind the wiper motor ....

interestingly enough there was no wire on the back but I found a black one taped off. it looks like it needs some type of bananna plug plugged into the back of the assembly.

I checked the resistance and with the lighter out it is infinity and with the lighter pressed in it is about 2.5 ohms , which as about 5-6 amps current draw on a 16 amp fues , should be fine. I am sure when I pull out the stuff and put it all back together I will find out why it wasn't connected .. probaby right after my car burns to the ground :-)

good job I like projects ...

Quick Reply: low priority lighter question