Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dropped my shorts to 16,500 for my cab

ANybody?

LOL

Life is grand

Last edited by Loaded; 07-19-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 495 Posts

Great price....If i bought another, id have to move in. Does the price include rent for a year..
Old 07-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Great price, but because you are selling a unique car, you have a niche audience. What I mean is, it could take a month or two, even at that price. There is someone who is looking for a white '86 cab with burgundy interior.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:46 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Hang in there,

It seems to be a buyers market right now for all used automobiles.

John
Old 07-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Fausto, what does your marketing look like? Sometimes it's not the product or the price as much as it is the pictures, history and presentation of the car. If you share the links, I might be able to provide some constructive criticism. I could actually use the same for my car. I had a friend take some "artistic" pictures and I'm not sure that they are ideal for selling...
Old 07-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

could it be that the list of "modifications" or "upgrades" or "improvements" actually detracts from the car? When I was looking for a 911, then a G-50, then a cab, then manual cab, then an '88, the list started with must be a virgin. I wanted stock everything: stereo, speakers, mufler, rims, all the stuf most guys butcher.

is it posible that "custom exhaust" makes people not even look at it for fear that it was a street racer or cut up or damaged in ways they can't see. I never knew about Steve Wong until I saw it in your signature. For all I know that chip could be in my car, but I would have run the other way had it been in the add. I would not have looked at the car.

sorry, that was a rant that is just me. I think you should keep the car anyway.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:18 AM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Point

PRICE DROP
Old 07-19-2007, 03:00 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

man that was a cruel rant. Fausto, I love your car. if it were on a lot in Oceanside, CA it would be gone in a day at that price. I went to san diego this weekend after staying away for three weeks and every car I looked at was gone. not a single Porsche to be found. some lots had several before, now none! try keeping the car.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a bunch of employees in Dallas. I'll forward them the info.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

$16,500 is too low, IMO. I would not lower it beyond $18k.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:45 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If it's not selling, then the price is too high (or as mentioned, the ad is bad). I've been shopping for a BMW M5 (E39) for a few months, and one car I almost bought has been on the market since February. On a thread like this one, you can watch the guy drop the price every month or so. We were $2k apart, so the deal didn't go through. I told him it was just too high, but he won't sell for less than his payoff. And so it won't get sold, because it's just too expensive.

Personally, when I'm buying a used car, I also prefer it to be as stock as possible. I'm OK with short shifters and stereo upgrades, simple easily removed stuff like that. Having a picture of the car on the autocross course is not good either, IMHO. And I don't know what a magnacores 8.5 is, so I hope your ad explains stuff like that.

And, of course, the people who want and can afford a 20 year old Porsche is a rather small group, so it's going to take time and good marketing to find a buyer. My neighbor bought a nice '85 white cabriolet with no rust, just needed some brakes and struts, new top, etc. and I think he paid 14.5 last year for it. Just a data point (I know the '86 is more desirable).

Best of luck,

Michael
Old 07-19-2007, 05:12 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael, having just done brakes & suspension on mine (myself), $14.5k vs. $16.5k is a gap very quickly bridged. It was $450+ for the drilled Zimmerman rotors I got, another $100 (??) for the pads, I spent that again easily on the parking brake shoes, already had the brake hoses done. Then get into struts & springs... there's an easy $600 to drop, more for the rest of the suspension parts, ball joints, tie rod ends, strut mounts, etc. etc. - that's never mind the labor if a shop's doing it.

When I bought my 84 Cab in '04 w/ 50k miles for $19.5k, I knew it had some minor issues, a few smaller things would come up, and I acknowledged at purchase the trans / clutch would need to be done, along with the usual 20+ year old car stuff. But, I felt the car was ahead of the game for the most part, and I knew the owner.

Personally, I think Fausto's ad here & on eBay needs a LOT of work. I also have the Burgundy interior (though with black) and it's unique - you just don't see that on most of the P-Cars around me. He's got to focus on the strong points of the car, teach the unwashed heathen about what the car is & has potential for, emphasize those desirable upgrades (& how easy it is to return to stock, etc.; in my case I have the original DME chip, shifter, pretty much every single part I've taken off the car, extra set of wheels & tires, complete records, photos posted here on Rennlist, for example).

I think because he was busy gettin' hitched he hired a company to sell the car. The place comes off like a pawn shop on eBay, not knowing much about the car & its history.

I'd like to see the value higher as far as a sales point, but you also make a great point - others can be had for less, so the impression is this is priced too high. If it was, I don't think it is any longer.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:33 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Just don't drop it as low as this guy.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=357698

I am real glad I do not live on the West coast

Ditto with the above advice, a decent Ad will help move a car quicker

John

Quick Reply: Dropped my shorts to 16,500 for my cab