Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

R Groupe 911SC value question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007 | 07:36 PM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
Default R Groupe 911SC value question

Hello all, just wanted to get some opinions on the value of this car. I think it's a fantastic machine, but so unusual that it's difficult to put a number on it. BTW it has about 200,000 miles on the chassis (albeit *completely* rebuilt), but low engine miles.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ighlight=rdane
Old 07-06-2007 | 08:14 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Thats a very special car that was built with few compromises and executed to high level of detail. One of a kind, really.

Its value lies with how badly one wants such a unique machine. I would tell you that its priced FAR below what it would cost to do that very same thing today to that same level of quality.
Old 07-06-2007 | 08:21 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ron_dargenio
Hello all, just wanted to get some opinions on the value of this car. I think it's a fantastic machine, but so unusual that it's difficult to put a number on it. BTW it has about 200,000 miles on the chassis (albeit *completely* rebuilt), but low engine miles.[/url]
You're right, it is difficult to put a price on such a custom hotrod. When I see what the market is like at the auctions for 'mmurican iron these days, it looks like a bargain to me, especially in terms of the driving experience, if that is what you are looking for. You couldn't duplicate that car for $65K, even doing a lot of the work yourself. If it rings your bell and suits your purposes and style, make him an offer you can live with. I don't know what your smog regs are like in PA but you might check if it meets them.

BTW, not to play the spelling card or anything, but it's "R Gruppe".

TT
Old 07-06-2007 | 11:07 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

its worth whatever someone will pay for it. Its a very nice car, no excuses. It will be a tough sell at the price hes asking in the colors its in. But think of how much it would cost to build that car? More than hes asking thats for sure. Tough call. If I were loaded I wouldn't think too much on the price if I wanted it though.

Mileage on a chassis is nothing on a car like this but a number on the paper work. Its new from tip to tail.

As far as its pricing VS the muscle car market, I love muscle cars, but they steer and stop like ****, they guzzle gas and are unsafe. Its a miracle they have sustained the value they have. I'm expecting a crash in the not too distant future of prices When all these guys realize they spent 1/4 of a mil on a car that while it looks cool and goes like stink in a straight line, realy has nothing else to offer.

On the flip side, this SC will out run, steer, and stop most everything, its safe, comfortable, and compared to a new 997, its probably not going to depreciate much if the build quality on the paint and body are as good as it looks. Thats the down fall of most resto's, the paint after a few years starts to crack and bubble, and yourleft with a car needing alot of expensive work.
Old 07-06-2007 | 11:14 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ron_dargenio
Hello all, just wanted to get some opinions on the value of this car. I think it's a fantastic machine
FWIW, I "sort of" know this car. The owner is local to me.

It was featured in Excellence recently.

It's is a killer, and if I had the dough, I'd ****** it up from Dane in a heartbeat.
Old 07-06-2007 | 11:17 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the Blue Meanie. Very well built car. I cant believe he is actually selling it. The car is super fast...can run right up there with the 996 Turbos. I was going to build my car off of what he had done...but it didnt make since because my SC is in such great shape with everything in original and working condition.

Parts alone, minus labor and the original car, the price was around $50,000. To the right person this car could sell North of $70,000. Its definitely worth that and even more.

Absolutely a first rate purpose built badass 911.

Micahel
Old 07-06-2007 | 11:25 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Wow, I just read Danes asking price. Someone is going to get a hell of a deal on this car. I would have held out for ALOT more. Not even my car but I feel sick to my stomach seeing him part with it, and at that price....whoa.

If I had 65 on had, it would be a no brainer.
Old 07-07-2007 | 12:11 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

BTW, not to play the spelling card or anything, but it's "R Gruppe".

TT[/QUOTE]

No, I don't mind the spelling card. While I was writing the thread my wife was yelling that we were late for a dinner engagement, and I just knew I misspelled the damned word.

I blame her for everything.
Old 07-07-2007 | 03:41 AM
onlycafe
Advanced

if i had children, i would sell them to have that car.
Old 07-07-2007 | 08:11 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's worth getting a copy of excellence if you want to know more about that car. The author was quite a fan.

My theory on car pricing is this; 90% of all the fun you can have in a car can be had in a sub 2000.00 car. Check out Grassroots Motorsports if you want to see what I mean.

It's that last ten percent that's going to cost you. The car is worth it, but I could have the nicest G50 car in my garage with a built 928 GT sitting next to it for that price. Or every car I now own plus change. Still, if I had the money kicking around...
Old 07-07-2007 | 10:16 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

The car is worth all of what rdane is asking, the only real question is it worth it to YOU. You really have to want that particular car and love everything about it..
Old 07-07-2007 | 05:52 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
Not even my car but I feel sick to my stomach seeing him part with it, and at that price....whoa.

If I had 65 on had, it would be a no brainer.
Pretty much everyone in our local area that gets together for meets felt that way when Dane announced it was for sale.
I sure do. It would be a terrible loss to our local community.
Old 07-08-2007 | 08:27 PM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for your input on this thread, it is appreciated!
Old 07-09-2007 | 02:32 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not just the $$ invested...its also the time. What's 2 years worth to you. You want to wait 2 years for "your" car to be finished or you want to drive it tomorrow. Just $0.02 from a guy who has built enough stufff to know how long things take and the time-value of $$.
Old 07-09-2007 | 03:10 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

If "the devil is in the details" then this car is going straight to hell.

Probably one of the better thought out purpose built cars around.

Quick Reply: R Groupe 911SC value question