Question on Euro (RoW) cars and HP

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:34 PM
kick7ca
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Euro (RoW) cars and HP

I'm in the market for a 3.2 Carerra.
I often see adds for Euro Carerras with the 231 hp motor. What makes it 231 hp? Higher compression? Engine & fuel management? Lack of a catalyst? I'm think I read it's a combo of all 3....

The reason I ask is; if a grey market car is federalized for US/Canada, it has to have a catalyst installed. So do imported Euro cars sold here really have 231hp as advertised by sellers??
And If they don't, would removing the catalyst revert the car back to it's original hp rating?

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:49 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

One of the factors is higher compression, which (since the 3.2 has no knock sensor) makes for more of a gamble with crappy U.S. gas, depending on where you live.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:56 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's really about condition. I wasn't even in the market for an SC, but a real nice 81 Euro fell into my lap. Very well maintained, no bad mods. It would never pass in California. As always, it is more about the specific car you buy. To the point, go for a known quantity, one you have driven, or a well known car. I was told to buy the SC by a trusted PCA friend. He did me well.

As for Jacks comments, right now I'm running 93 octane. I guess I could switch to AV gas if I had to, or just run it as a track car. I spent over ten years running safe cars, and waiting for shut down regulations that never came to pass. Carpe Diem is the new motto. I'm looking into CRC gas stabilizer for ethanol blends. Using STP gas treatment for now, no problems.

I love my SC, but if the right US Carrera came up, or had fallen into my lap, I'd be a pretty happy camper owning one. One of the nicest 911s I ever drove was an 89 US spec Speedster. Great, great engine, and the G50 box. Turbo look, so very grippy, but good steering feel. The owner told me he had never had to fix anything on the car, and it had 50 K on the clock, so you can see where that was heading, and shortly thereafter did on no longer deferable maintenance.

A really great car, but it would have been expensive to buy, and more money to get back to snuff, just on routine wear items. Lots of owners have that knack of selling before the service is due, so once again, it is about the individual car you buy. Or negotiating the price to reflect condition. It is not too tough to make a US Carrera go [as if they need it] , so really, just get a good one. The rest will follow.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

BTW, I already knew I would have no trouble registering my Euro before I bought it. They have a triple Z in the serial # and stick out like a sore thumb on the computer. A consideration if you are buying from out of state. LOL
Old 07-05-2007, 10:04 AM
kick7ca
Advanced

So, can I infer a RoW car with a catalyst has less than 231 hp? And if you remove the catalyst on a federalized RoW car you get back to the 231 hp? Correct?
Old 07-06-2007, 07:41 PM
surfdwn
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No, the Euro car has a different cam as well. I had a few of them and they are much zippier than the US counterparts.

David Nolen
'70 911T
Old 07-06-2007, 10:29 PM
nee.dragger
Racer

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley
. . . . . . I guess I could switch to AV gas if I had to, or just run it as a track car.
Don't use avgas in your car:

www.osbornauto.com/racing/race2avgas.htm
Old 07-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. Nice 928.

Quick Reply: Question on Euro (RoW) cars and HP