Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cam grind for a 3.6. Advise requested

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001 | 04:16 PM
Felmir
2nd Gear

Post Cam grind for a 3.6. Advise requested

Hello 911 Freaks:

I'm in the middle of rebuilding a 3.6 liter motor that will be installed in my '72 911T. If anyone has had any experience with non-stock cam grinds for this engine, I'd like to hear from you. I plan to install headers, retain the stock intake, and use an aftermarket fuel and ignition management system (for tuning flexibility). I will also use the stock P/C's. Ted Robinson at German Precision recommends that I stay away from any cam that requires cutting the pistons. My goal is hit 300HP with my set up. The car is intended to be a street machine. Any cam grind suggestions and advise would be appreciated. Thanks all!
Old 11-21-2001 | 10:33 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Hi:

Your engine configuration and parameters would match very well with the Euro 3.8 RS cams. These cams work very well with these OEM single-throttle intake systems.

These will make 300 HP with no trouble and I would recommend upgrading the valve springs, retainers and rod bolts while you have it all apart.
Old 11-24-2001 | 05:57 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

What's the trade-off with the 3.8 cam grind? Is the hp gained at the cost of the overall torque picture?
Old 11-24-2001 | 03:29 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Originally posted by JackOlsen:
<STRONG>What's the trade-off with the 3.8 cam grind? Is the hp gained at the cost of the overall torque picture?</STRONG>
Hi Jack:

Due to the need for short overlap in Motronic-compatible camshafts, the RS cams do not have an negative impact on low-end torque. RS cams have more lift and duration than the stock 993 cams but use the same lobe centers.

Its a no-brainer,.......

Now,.....that said, the RS cams are capable of making good power to 7000 RPM and I would STRONGLY suggest installing uprated valve springs, titanium retainers and better rod bolts in any 3.6 if you wish to take advantage of what these cams are capable of. Its simply good insurance.

Quick Reply: Cam grind for a 3.6. Advise requested