Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Any experiance with Dansk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007 | 09:44 PM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Any experiance with Dansk?

I purchased an OEM reproduction Dansk exhaust from Performance Products. It looked well made but once installed, the tip seems too close to the rear valence on the right side. I was told by the mechanic that there is no adjustment and that this is a bolt on part to the heat exchangers. Maybe the heat ex got bent on one side when the engine was out??? Does anyone have any experiance with Dansk and if so is a mismeasurement normal? It is a small thing but frankly it looks alittle like s--t.

Ryan
Old 07-01-2007 | 11:44 PM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A muffler shop could cut a slice in it (80-90% through) with a reciprocating saw, then move it over so it's centered, then reweld.

Sherwood
Old 07-02-2007 | 01:18 AM
Rotten Robby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dansk is often the supplier to European car companies. Many original Porsche mufflers were made by Dansk. Are you sure the car isn't a little tweeked?
Old 07-02-2007 | 02:14 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Ryan:

In my experience, your situation is not unusual as Dansk's QC leaves a little to be desired,..

Some are simply not as good as others.
Old 07-02-2007 | 03:51 AM
madmmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree with Steve. I bought the Euro pre muffler/cat bypass and after about 2 hours of my own work it passed my quality inspection. I was happy with about 90% of the build quality, it was that last 10% that I had to do myself to make me happy.
Old 07-02-2007 | 08:35 AM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. I just needed an exhaust and it seemed to fit the bill. Ultimately I will upgrde the exhaust, HEs and go all staineless. I just need the $ to do it. In the interum, I thought this would do but it is those little imperfections that are such an eye sore on a car that was designed by perfecftionists.
Old 07-02-2007 | 11:04 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

It helps if you position the exhaust where you want it tighten with the muffler straps - then tighten the bolts to either side of the cat or premuffler. I used two floor jacks to keep the dual tips positioned. It helped a little - but still was a little cattywompus.
Old 07-02-2007 | 02:31 PM
911pcars
Racer

Sometimes the drivetrain isn't aligned with the axis of the vehicle. Just to be sure, loosen the motor mount bolts next to the crank pulley. If there's any stress in the drivetrain, this should relieve some/all, then retighten. Check the tailpipe position again. If it's off, move the tailpipe as I suggested earlier.

While the 911 was mass-produced, nothing was perfect in the build processes they had in the 60's and 70's. A look at some photos of the assembly procedures will give you an idea. To expect an aftermarket part to fit perfectly is a nice objective, but if you have to adjust a little, you either adjust or go with options B or C.

Sherwood
Old 07-02-2007 | 08:24 PM
genripper
Instructor

I just installed a polished stainless Dansk sport muffler on my 81 911 SC Targa, on SSI heat exchangers. It is a 2 in/1 out muffler. Other than the flange where the 2 halves are welded together around the middle looking a little rough, it looks great, and bolted right up to the HE's. It sounds great, sounds like the factory muffler but a bit louder. Breathes nice too with the SSI's.

It has a bigger outlet pipe that bends down and comes straight back rather than angled down like the original muffler. I had to take the rear foglight off as it was starting to melt the lens (I have a Euro spec car). I'm going to see if a muffler shop can bend it down a bit and cut about 2" off so I can put the foglight back on.

Quick Reply: Any experiance with Dansk?