Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Damaged merchandise...any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007 | 12:17 PM
visible23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged merchandise...any tips?

I just received two RSAmerica seats from FedEx, one of which was structurally damaged en-route. I was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with this type of situation and what the easiest road to satisfaction was.

I've heard that making a claim is a difficult, lengthy and frustrating process that rarely leads to a satisfying resolution. Can anyone refute that?

Thx in advance.
Old 06-28-2007 | 12:55 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Did you note on the shipper the damage when you signed for them? You actually should of refused them due to damage and let the shipper and Fed Ex argue about it. Hope it works out for you.
Old 06-28-2007 | 02:56 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Problem #1: Shipper (not receiver) makes the claim.
Problem #2: Damage claim not specifically noted at time of receipt is usually either dismissed or fought.
Problem #3: Insurance purchased?

I had some discontinued SHO parts I bought from a dealer in LA a number of years ago, which was damaged beyond ability to use during shipping. UPS came out, physically took the part back, then promptly lost the part in the system. The shipper wasn't motivated to pursue, as they'd been paid. UPS driver stated it was no big deal, just a "$15 part from the look of it", when in actuality, was one of only 2 parts left in the country & cost a good bit.

I never got a refund, I never got the damaged part back even though I'd paid for insurance to cover the extra amount over the $100 UPS "covers".
Old 06-28-2007 | 03:04 PM
visible23
Instructor

Hmmmm. I was expecting bad stories I guess. Fred, that, uhm, sucks. The packages were not damaged so I had no reason to refuse delivery. The seat looks as if the box was dropped upside down, from a great height...bent the frame of the seat-back.

Maybe I should just start trying to figure out how to get it fixed and where.
Old 06-28-2007 | 05:04 PM
Instructor

Same story with FedEx... I purchased a part from a CA supplier, and when Fed "UP" delivered it, I noted that the box was extremely light... the Delivery man shrugged and beat feet down the street..

So dummy me opens up the box, and VOILA... empty!!! The bottom had been cut and the part neatly dropped out! I contact Fed Up... they say make the shipper file a report... I contact the shipper... they could give a rat's a**; won't do a d*** thing to help... I write Fed Up... they tell me to pound sand... I CALL Fed UP... they also tell me to stick it in my ear!!!

I vow to never use Fed F**k Up again, and to tell everyone I know the story. I can't prove it, but most likely, the part was lifted when the box passed thru the LA FedEx Terminal... SOB that stole it probably recognized the Shipper and figured it was something of value... bunch of thieves, and I too had insurance on it!!! Best bet is to just not ship big stuff, or stuff of any real value.

Your only recourse is to threaten to sue the Shipper for not pursuing the claim for you! Maybe a letter written by an "Attorney" (hint, hint) will get them to take action...
Old 06-28-2007 | 05:08 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPS lost my seats in a January train derailing incident. They will only talk with the UPS store since they become the shipper of record. I'm still waiting for my claim check after 5 months and a dozen long distance phone calls. Will post results when settled.
Old 06-28-2007 | 05:13 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

I deal with freight damage on a daily basis it seems at work (construction equipment), and it is only getting worse. The golden rule I tell customers is 1:refuse if possible 2:note damage on ticket and don't let driver leave telling you otherwise 3: file claim with shipper ASAP as that's about all you have got. Our company eats a lot of product because of a good customer claiming it's our fault the item got damaged in transit, customer's always right huh? The freight companies really have you by the short ones anymore. Sorry about your seat damage, I know it's a bitch, but stay after FedEX as it was truly unseen damage on your part.
Old 06-28-2007 | 07:10 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Yes, I even had a Mercedes delivered to me with a big dent in it once. The driver said they were sorry and that we documented it properly

When I called in for a claim they denied the damage anyway. Asked me stupid questions like what I thought they had done to cause the dent. Then they said it was up to me to prove that they had done the damage when their driver was going to deny the damage document in court.

This was all clearly a well-practiced routine on their part. I probably could have won in court after a couple of years if they stayed in business that long.

The stories go on and on... to digress... An illegal alien hit my wife's car while driving without a license, and his job was driving the company truck he hit us with! The real kicker is that he had no license because he was on 3 yrs of probation without a license for a previous accident he caused! The cop wrote him a ticket for driving without a license and let him walk away in spite of his probation, and I had to file an "uninsured motorist" claim to get the damage fixed. Wish I had time to sue that company too. They could not prove the truck was insured and were paying an unlicensed driver to hit us with it.
Old 06-29-2007 | 11:39 PM
kplackmeyer
Advanced

My day job involves shipping lots of electronics gear, much of it low volume production stuff = very expensive. (Radio Engineering). I have had damaged package experiences with all 3 of the big shippers (FedEx, UPS & DHL formerly AirBorne) They usually come up with "Improper Packaging" or something of that nature. And to the ones saying refuse delivery...that is the best way to go. My problem is a mail room that doesn't know what is being delivered (could be a computer...or a spool of wire) and just how fragile it might be. 99% of the time, we eat it. The best route is to double-box stuff whenever you can. Do original packaging, and then foam-pack it (the expanding stuff) in another box. PITA, but worth it.
Old 06-29-2007 | 11:47 PM
yogi
Advanced

If you paid with a credit card. Contact your credit card company and tell them what happened. Tell them you want to dispute the charges. You might have to full out a form on their website. Once the credit card company reverses the charge the shipper will act differently to you.

Jerry Baer
87 coupe
Old 06-30-2007 | 06:12 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeh Jerry has it right - if you paid by CC they will take up the case and usually their power turns around a bad situation.

Hope it works out - if I cannot open parcel immediately I ALWAYS mark delivery note 'delivered but not seen'.

PJC

Quick Reply: Damaged merchandise...any tips?