Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

acceleration for '72 rsr tribute with a 3.6l

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 03:16 PM
tradin1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default acceleration for '72 rsr tribute with a 3.6l

i am on the fence in putting a turbo motor, Vram 3.6l, or the Vram 3.6l with PMO's and RS cams.

it will be a DQ cruiser, so i want stoplight to stoplight fun. i already have a 996tt that has the UMW 3b kit on it so i already have a MONSTER for fun.

my fear is that if i do not go with the turbo, i will be severely disappointed; but i keep reading about the NA "experience"...lightweight car with awesome sound.

this draws me to the PMO's/cams more and more, as i love the sound of the NA pcars.

i have never ridden in a lightweight NA Pcar before, and do not know anyone that can take me for a ride so that i can make an educated decision. if there is anyone in dallas that can give me a ride, ill buy lunch and promise to chew your ear about pcars the whole time!

so, what kind of acceleration can i realistically expect with the above setups? the car has a 915 w/ LS and the car should weigh around 2500lbs when done. if i go with the turbo, i will use the G50.

thx.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it would be great with just a stock 3.6.
Easier too.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:20 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm in California, so I can't take you for a ride. But here's my opinion:

If you want neck-snapping acceleration, a Turbo powerplant and a G50 is the best way to go.

A light, nimble car with (even beefed-up) 3.6 power is not going to knock your socks off in a straight line. You'd have to take it to a track to see it embarrass your 996TT (and to do that, the 72 would need suspension work and some very good driving). And if you're doing hard starts with a 915, you're going to have a lot of transaxle issues.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I'll offer a second opinion,....

To me, you cannot beat a 3.6 (or 3.8) with either ITB's and engine management or a properly set up pair of PMO's and some compression. That combo gives throttle response that a turbo motor will never match,.............

For the "stoplight grandprix", this is a winner (as long as the transmission is prepared properly).
Old 06-26-2007, 01:24 AM
tradin1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thx for the responses...

by stoplight to stoplight, i did not mean as in street racing. i was leaning more towards, on ramps, passing cars, and road driving in general.

the suspension will all be erp with jrz coilovers, same setup i have on the 996tt.

the tranny has been rebuilt with L/S, with WEVO upgrades.

the ITB sound great, and i hear they give incredible throttle response. this is what i would really love to have, just unsure of the performance potential.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:20 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by tradin1
thx for the responses...

by stoplight to stoplight, i did not mean as in street racing. i was leaning more towards, on ramps, passing cars, and road driving in general.

the suspension will all be erp with jrz coilovers, same setup i have on the 996tt.

the tranny has been rebuilt with L/S, with WEVO upgrades.

the ITB sound great, and i hear they give incredible throttle response. this is what i would really love to have, just unsure of the performance potential.
Understood,...

Be aware that an ERP-equipped car makes a dandy competition machine, but they are noisy for street use.

The success (or failure) of any ITB system lies with choice and tuning of Engine Management and the rest of the engine configuration. If you send me an e-mail, I'll send along some pictures of our own ITB system that works VERY well.

The performance potential is only limited by your budget and these work very well for street or race cars ranging from 250 to 400+ HP.

Quick Reply: acceleration for '72 rsr tribute with a 3.6l