Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

(*^*&^%*(&^(&%!!! Careless drivers!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Man you were lucky.... about another inch and she would hit the side on the bumperette tearing it off and possibly damaging the rear bumper as the studs pull the nuts through the bumper , or she would have taken a HUGE bitemark out and then you really would have had to go after her . The problem with the steel wool approach is you will lose that natural "dimpled " effect in the rubber . But still over all very minor. I say try and get a picture off one off ebay showing her the repalcement costs and see if she will pay. Can't lose right?
Old 06-19-2007, 12:04 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soooooo...

This morning, I go find the woman, pull up a chair & have a seat. Begin to discuss, etc.

I am EXTREMELY proud of myself. I have had a very short fuse in the past, which has nearly cost me my job a couple of times, and has caused myself & others physical harm when things get to throwing punches. So, I kept my cool through this. It's a woman we're talking about, so the most I'd do is yell, then punch a concrete wall.

She readily admitted she hit the car.

She blamed her husband for parking the van too close.
She was in a hurry, 'that's why she didn't stop to tell me'.
She was upset that someone blabbed, because...
She was going to tell me this morning. Uh Huh.
She said she stopped to look at it to see how bad it was. Not according to the person who let me know.

Bottom Line
She's said she's willing to pay for it if need be, personally, without insurance.

So, if folks feel the bumper guard can be "buffed out" with steel wool / polish of some kind, I'll start down that road. She's already been handed the worst-case ~$400 for a new one cost & accepted it if need be. I'm not out to be a d!ck about it, so if we can save this one, great; if I can find an inexpensive new / leftover, will be happy to look at it. Found one on an old Pelican forum link looks like it went for ~$100.

Thanks for the ears / shoulders / offers, happy to discuss with anyone.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Why not get a replacement one , tray to fix your best you can and sell it on Ebay to someone who has a MUCH worse one , then you can give her the money from that if you are in a generous mood !
Old 06-19-2007, 12:27 PM
JBO
Instructor

It's not bad, and you will be able to fix it up so that it is not noticeable. If it had been split, which I have seen happen, it would be a different story. You should be proud about the way you handled it, as I tend to get bent out of shape about these things as well. It's good you confronted her though.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Fred: Obtain a replacement quote from a body shop, present her with that estimate, and tell her that you're willing to deduct the labor and do the replacement yourself. Remain calm but put the ball in her court, then see what happens.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:05 PM
IslandmanPA
Instructor

I would present your co-worker for a bill describing the damaged part and replacement cost. If she baulks, let her know your only choice is to call the police and report a 'hit & run'! Hopefully you won't have to take it that far!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:37 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Island man you are COLD ..... all that and you didn't even ask if she was cute ..
Old 06-19-2007, 05:08 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously, she's a liar...she was hoping to get away w/it...get her to buy you an acceptable replacement part. Then if its cool w/her husband, get her to come over and sit in the corner in a "time-out" for the entire time it takes you to install the part. Of course, given her unscrupulous nature, when she inevitability gets fired, hopeuflly she doesn't key your car on her way out.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:01 PM
rscredon
Instructor

Dude, I'd be pissed too. It doesn't matter that the damage was minor, it matters that there was a total lack of consideration and responsibility by the other driver.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:09 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

I think the bumpers have shocks behind them as well. Depending on the angle of the hit, I'd also demand that be replaced. Maybe someone here may know for certain but I seem to recall there are shocks that are supposed to be replaced when these bumpers get hit. At least that would be the story I'd stick to; let her prove you wrong.

If you really want to push, say a new one will look totally different so you need them both replaced. It would serve her right for leaving. How long does it take to stop and put a note on a windshield? The woman is a liar in my opinion; she had no intention to notify anyone.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:09 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You did the right thing...you confronted her....you kept your cool, and you approached the issue logically. She's busted and she knows it, so you have met part of your objective which was to let her know that you know she's the responsible one. She's embarrassed kuz she's busted....and should be embarrassed.

I think you've approached the issue responsibly and sensibly....I see no reason to alter your methodology by gouging her. I'd replace the bumper with something I could find that's reasonable and present her with the bill....after all, she needs to be taught the lesson of consequence of action (or in her case, inaction). I would not let her off the hook. You're 3/4ths of the way through a great lesson for her...finish it up in the same professional and courteous manner.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:28 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I will bump someone to park only if both my car and the other cars have scratched up bumpers. Otherwise, if the bumpers are pristine or otherwise untouched, the rule is: don't touch.
How about Don't touch PERIOD?
You think that if I have one scratch I won't mind another, possibly even worse one? That I won't mind you slightly damaging my paint? That I won't mind, in the case of my front end, a bent license plate? That I won't mind you setting off my alarm and bugging everyone around and having my two way page having me sprinting from whatever I've just dropped in the middle of to see what's going on with my car?
If you can't judge distance that well, and you have to rub bumpers to figure it out... Then you shouldn't be driving with such poor depth perception.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
How about Don't touch PERIOD?
You think that if I have one scratch I won't mind another, possibly even worse one? That I won't mind you slightly damaging my paint? That I won't mind, in the case of my front end, a bent license plate? That I won't mind you setting off my alarm and bugging everyone around and having my two way page having me sprinting from whatever I've just dropped in the middle of to see what's going on with my car?
If you can't judge distance that well, and you have to rub bumpers to figure it out... Then you shouldn't be driving with such poor depth perception.
Every city is different. I don't know what it's like in Vancouver. If you look at the bumpers of Chicago cars, many have more than one scratch on them. Try 1000 scratches, and plenty of paint missing. Those are the people who use their bumpers to get in and out of tight spaces.

What I'm saying is, if they are using their bumpers, then it is safe to assume that they will not mind getting a rub now and then.

Also keep in mind that Chicago's used car dealership almost always have both bumpers repainted as standard practice when they get a car. They also don't even bother looking, just do it anyway. So you can start to get the picture of how people park in this city.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Vinobien
Track Day

She maybe has it out for Managers
Old 06-22-2007, 08:00 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vinobien
She maybe has it out for Managers
She's a cannibal then. We're talking someone who's probably late 50's, early 60's here.

Quick Reply: (*^*&^%*(&^(&%!!! Careless drivers!