Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

H4 Headlight install

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Tmack
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H4 Headlight install

Thanks in advance for any help. This applies to a 74' 911.
Im having trouble getting the light and the trim ring to fit correctly with new rubber seal. It seems like the rubber is to thick. I ordered from performance products for the H4 lights.

Any ideas on how to make it fit correctly? Should I trim th rubber at the top where the lip is?
Old 06-17-2007, 02:56 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't know about a 74, but if it's anything like my 84, it does take some effort (wrestling) to get them on and the rubber gets compressed to make a good seal.
Steve
Old 06-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rbcsaver
I don't know about a 74, but if it's anything like my 84, it does take some effort (wrestling) to get them on and the rubber gets compressed to make a good seal.
Steve
Excellent advice and right on the mark,...
Old 06-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Tmack
Rennlist Member

Does anyone have picture of how the light looks looks after they are installed correctly?
Thanks
Old 06-17-2007, 06:15 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

Once you get them "hooked" at the top, my experience was that you had to push down on the assembly pretty hard. You'll actually feel it "pop" into place. That, and a small flashlight to see if the mounting screw hole is lined up before you try and thread the screw.

But the trick for me was definitely to push down first, and then bring the bottom in.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:16 PM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

+1 Roger
Seems like a simple job but it took four hands (my wife assisted) on my '69. With NEW rubber seals you really have to press down at the top, compress that seal, get the top "hooked", then swing the rim down. I put a piece of tape at the lower screw hole, marked with an arrow to help locate the screw hole alignment. It does sort of "snap in" when you get it right.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:20 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rgrimm
Once you get them "hooked" at the top, my experience was that you had to push down on the assembly pretty hard. You'll actually feel it "pop" into place. That, and a small flashlight to see if the mounting screw hole is lined up before you try and thread the screw.
But the trick for me was definitely to push down first, and then bring the bottom in.
I agree.
Steve
Old 06-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Tmack
Rennlist Member

Thanks everybody for your help. This maybe a stupid question. I got it hooked on top and the screw lined up at the bottom, but the ruber seem to bulge out. Should the rubber overlap the edge?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:14 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When installed properly, the new seal should be very flush with the fender and headlight trim ring. These seals only fit one way on the fender. If yours buldges, reverse the seal and try again.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:52 PM
ga
Advanced

I changed mine & put the "solid flat part" of the gasket against the fender, with the "sliced 2 part" facing out, then used an icepick to line up the screw holes at the bottom. Not sure if I put the gasket on correctly, but assumed that the 2 part groove would be to accomadate the trim ring.
ga
Old 06-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

Use an awl to ensure that the single screw hole at the 6 o'clock position remains properly oriented when you are doing this. It is very easy for the thing to be offcenter and then it is possible to cross-thread it.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:25 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Just replaced the seals on both our P-cars. Definitely good advice here. I agree: Push down hard on the top of the ring to get it lined-up. Use an awl, icepick, or thin crewdriver to align the holes, gently start the screw before cranking on it. Those fine threads are easy to strip/cross.

I take my right-side light out every time I track the car, and it's a little bit of work to get the rings on with the new seals.

Good Luck, be patient.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Tmack
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going to try again this weekend. Wish me luck.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:53 AM
rgrimm
Instructor

Final thought, and you've probably already got it, but just in case...

Make sure the seals are on correctly. It's been a while since I've had to replace seals, but they is, as I recall, a "correct" way to install them. If I remember correctly, "flat" side against the fender with a thin "lip" in the seal fitting behind the fender "flare" and another thin lip to the outside, coming up between the fender flare and headlight housing (if this makes any sense).

So while the seal may seem too thick, it really shouldn't seem like you need to "trim" the rubber.

Like I said, you're probably got it right, but just in case...
Old 06-22-2007, 03:15 PM
tigerrat
Advanced

+1, I'm with rgrimm, I did mine one at a time fortunately and found the seals did not go on the way I first thought. Flipped it around and all was good. Used a small pick/punch to line up the bottom screw as I pressed the ring on. Ken

Quick Reply: H4 Headlight install