Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

acceptable motor for 71s

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 09:33 PM
16jake
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post acceptable motor for 71s

What would be an "acceptable" motor to put in 71 911S that currently has a 915 trans (i believe)? What are the major differences between the S,T, and E motors (besides horsepower) and would it be a major downfall to put in anything less than a S motor(they are quite hard to find) in the car. what about a properly rebuilt 2.7 motor or 3.0. i know that an original early S is worth a pretty penny. would it still have a decent value if it did not have the original motor?
Old 06-29-2003, 10:06 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why would you put a motor with a lower rated output and the not so cool CIS to replace the totally cool MFI original engine?
Old 06-30-2003, 01:19 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
i dont know for sure, so correct me guys if im wrong...

s is the fast bad *** top of the line i guess you could say 'sports' i dont know what 's' really stands for though.

't' is touring (less power)

'e' means einspritze (fuel injection) i dont know if they were all fuel injected by that time or not though. (less power)

personally i agree with what Harry D says. however, the 3.0 sc engine is a god amongst men in regards to quality, longevity, and that they are so damn good.

id stayaway from 2.7. maybe im just too suspicious and full of paranoia, but i wouldnt take a 2.7 unless i personally knew who built it, and knew their quality.

id say stay with the 2.2 or maybe even go up to the 2.4, if not the 3.0 sc.

as far as the gear box... not a fan of the 915 myself, but ive only driven one with a 915 a few times, so my oppinion on that gear box isnt saying much.

thats my 2 cents.

Keep the Faith!
Old 06-30-2003, 01:28 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
16Jake,

The 915 tranny was used with engines up and including the 3.2 L. Ther are folks out there using the 915 with 3.6 L engines as well with ok success (Jack Olsen).

Why are you looking for the larger displacement engine?

The 3.0 L has about the same power as the original engine, but more low end torque. It changes the driving nature of the older Porsches due to the loss of the "peaky" nature ofthe earlier engines.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:54 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Jake:

Your '71 would have come with a 901 tranny; the 915 was not used until '72. You can tell by the shift pattern; a 901 has 1st gear located out of the "H" pattern and downward to the left. The 915 has the standard "H" pattern with 5th gear located out of the "H" and upward to the right.

The true value of a '71 2.2S would be with the original engine & plumbing, even if its not installed. That's the "heart of the "S" model and what makes it unique and special.

You can install anything you desire, depending on your budget and what you plan on doing with it. A properly built 2.7 (non-CIS) with good oil cooling is excellent, as are other alternatives.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:25 AM
16jake
Instructor

i am looking for the a motor for the car because they guy i am looking at buying this car from a man who took the motor for his track 914 car. Totally sucks. I am going to try to talk him into selling me the original motor even if it cost me more than i plan to spend but i am not sure if he will sell it. I would like to have the S chasis (has everything but motor) for one because it is an s and has factory upgrades besides motor and has had professional steel RS flares put on it. Have not bought it but the car yet but it seems like it has potential(the car). A 2.4 would bolt right up to the 915 trans right?
What is it going to cost me to get a nice 2.2. or 2.4 vs. getting a 3.0? what would be better?
Old 06-30-2003, 04:40 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

i believe the 2.4 was originally with the 915. if not, either way it will bolt straight on.

listen to what steve Weiner said up there..

"The true value of a '71 2.2S would be with the original engine & plumbing, even if its not installed. That's the "heart of the "S" model and what makes it unique and special. "

there is no sense in buying an s, unless you get the s engine. if youre just buying an s chassis, you are buying an over priced badge.

what happened to the last one you were looking at? if i remember correctly it sounded like a good one. my thoughts are you should find a good solid car that has everything in it, as buying an engine will cost you a good chunk more, and if the engine needs a rebuild.. youre really gonna go broke, especially with the budget you gave us a while back. also with the budget you gave us at first, you dont want a car with 'potential' (when i hear that it makes me think.. lots of work). when people with limited budgets buy those, they end up selling them half way through b/c they go broke fixing it and doing what ever is needed to get it drivable.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:15 PM
16jake
Instructor

The chasis really arent overpriced and i really would only like the car if i can talk the guy into selling the original engine. I have no idea why someone would rather have an S engine in a 914 than a 911. Oh yea, the last car we looked at was on a sunday and considering banks were closed we figured we could wait till the next day until banks opened and then buy it. Bad mistake, someone came along with money in hand that day. Should have left a deposit. sorry about the poor grammer on the last post, i wrote it too late and couldnt even write better than a 1st grader.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:53 PM
16jake
Instructor

i found a correct 2.2 s motor and a 2.2t motor.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:36 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

good! throw the 2.2s engine in it. i was saying it will cost you more because its a 911s chassis. youre paying more for the chasis just cause it says s on it more or less. thats just the way cars parts etc works. if i buy an 050 distributor for my 912, and its advertised as porsche.. it will cost me 75 bucks. if i buy the exact same 050 dizy, listed in a vw catalogue, it will cost me 60. they both use the exact same bosh dizy, but its all how they are advertised. if you buy a 911s chassis you will pay more for it, than a 911t chassis, just b/c it went to an s. sure there are some differences with suspension, not much though, its all about the engine thats in it.. and that chassis lacks the s engine. throw the 2.2 engine in it, if you can afford it. if not get the t.. better to have an engine than none at all, but if at all possable get the s.. car will be more likly to retain value.

its not dumb to throw a 911 engine into a 914. a 914 can out handle a 911. throw a 911 engine in a 914 (actually yes thats exactly what a 914-6 is), and you will have a car that will crush equally prepared 911s, hands down on a track. in all honesty, if i had a vintage racer or auto-x car.. id go right to a 914-6 (or create a 914-6 myself). real 914-6's are rare.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:33 PM
16jake
Instructor

Well i saw the car and the 914 and the 914 was a very nice car. Not exagerated. The 911s was a project but it in fact is a true S. I figure it will cost me about 10-12k to have this car the way i would want it but in the long run i would have the exact car i want(color, seats, flares, sunroof, S motor 190hp vs t's with 130hp) I think it will take me over a year to do but i am only 16 and my dad is only 40 so time is something we have plenty of. Going to test drive the motor tonight. Thanks for replys KIC
Old 07-01-2003, 11:05 PM
pwd72s
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"but i am only 16 " Ok...PLease don't take this as a slam. On the downside? At 16, you still have much to learn. On the upside? At 16, you still have much to learn. May you enjoy the learning time...
Old 07-01-2003, 11:29 PM
JonSeigel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by pwd72s:
<strong>"but i am only 16 " Ok...PLease don't take this as a slam. On the downside? At 16, you still have much to learn. On the upside? At 16, you still have much to learn. May you enjoy the learning time...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Very true, Paul. Amen.

Quick Reply: acceptable motor for 71s