Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Slight ticking from engine.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 475 Posts
Default Slight ticking from engine.

Finally after a month of the car getting cleaned up...took the car for a trip...put about 100miles on it today.Loved it....on the way home I could hear a ticking coming from the engine, engine temp is a qtr up and I'm running Mobil synthetic 15-50, sounds like my 944's valve tick it had...wasn't too loud but noticeable when next to another car or a fence. Valves were re tuned a few thousand miles ago..other than that the car ran great and seems very reliable for its age. This is somewhat normal correct??? Engine has about 75k on it, one very very slow drip...which doesn't even hit the ground. Car was highway driven witha few spirited exits and entrances on the highway with one little tail slide....
Old 06-07-2007, 08:18 PM
rscredon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without further info I would think valves. Who adjusted them?
Old 06-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Just spoke with PO...they were just done..says there has always been one that doesn't want to cooperate since day one.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:51 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

They all tick. Did you have your windows down? Does it get louder as the temperature rises? Some people say these engine sound like sewing machines. Sewing machines have a very distinct ticking sound that can be almost akin to a very slight rod knock on other engines. Adjusting the valves can be tricky unless you have a very good mechanic who has done many many adjustments. Chances are, you have a mechanic who didn't do all the valves 100% last time. Some mechanics don't go up to 100% for fear of messing up (meaning losing compression and burning a valve).

Anyway, these are flat-tappet engines, so they will tick, tick, tick...
Old 06-08-2007, 01:57 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Cool thanks Murphyslaw....yeah it just sounds like my 944...which is still running, god knows how many miles with a ticking valve....does it as it gets hot. My Audi dealer who im very very friendly with has a 911 mech who was no.4 top rated in the us in the 80's at my disposal when I bring the car to him....Ill let him listen and I let him guide me...who knows maybe hell let him adjust them on Audi time..

I guess all the miles in the quiet A3 are making me a little girl...
Old 06-08-2007, 02:05 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fty
Cool thanks Murphyslaw....yeah it just sounds like my 944...which is still running, god knows how many miles with a ticking valve....does it as it gets hot. My Audi dealer who im very very friendly with has a 911 mech who was no.4 top rated in the us in the 80's at my disposal when I bring the car to him....Ill let him listen and I let him guide me...who knows maybe hell let him adjust them on Audi time..

I guess all the miles in the quiet A3 are making me a little girl...
I know the feeling of worry, though, since I went through it and even ended up driving the car to another mechanic who clarified the issue. It comes with the territory of being both **** and a perfectionist

Speaking of the Audi engine, my fiancee's BMW inline-6 purrs so quietly I sometimes cannot tell that it's running.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:13 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Yeah they all make noise to a certain extent. But, many people adjust the valves too loose, and they can be pretty noisy. Way too loose is bad because it can beat up the rocker arms, and too tight means more duration and possible rough idle if it's really bad, and of course you could burn exhaust valves that way. It takes a few times doing it to really get a feel for it. I remember when I first started working at my shop a couple years back I struggled to adjust the valves on a 911 the first time (I'd done it on Hondas and VWs before, but you could SEE what you were doing so it was easy!), it took almost 2 hours and I broke a feeler gauge blade (luckily they are magnetic)! Then my boss checks it and laughs and says they're all way too loose and I had to do it over again. Now I can do it in less than 5 minutes easily. It is tougher for the home mechanic to do it because you usually will only get experience on your own car, once every 15k miles! You should be able to slide the blade in and out, but it should be a pretty snug fit. Might be worth it to recheck the valve clearance, not only to make sure they are not too loose, but also just for practice if you plan on doing your own work.

---Chris A.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:17 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Yeah I have a 2.0T A3 with a 6spd....fun car,great ride, very cozy and comfy.....just not much of seat of your pants ride like this car.

Like I tell everyone....I am very finicky with cars.....I'm the guy in the super clean car....driving it with greasy hands....

I have the feeler gauge in the glove compartment....Id love to learn to do it...
Old 06-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fty
...Id love to learn to do it...
It will really only cost you time

I used to adjust my 1949 Chevy 1/2-ton truck every 3,000 miles with the engine running

Quick Reply: Slight ticking from engine.