Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Values

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A plate IDs the car and its owner for law enforcement, tax purposes, etc. It doesn't do bad guys any good, because they can't come up with additional info short of following you home. Set your alarm, don't leave anything in your car with your address on it (registration, proof of ins., etc.), and don't worry about the plate. Someone that we know recently went out to dinner at a slow, pricey restaurant. While enjoying a long, quiet meal someone else removed their registration and garage door opener from their car's glovebox, drove to the house, pulled into the garage, went inside and carefully removed all jewelry, computers, a Plasma wide screen and some art. Upon leaving they left the registration and door opener on a kitchen counter. Sheeeesh...
Old 06-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
A plate IDs the car and its owner for law enforcement, tax purposes, etc. It doesn't do bad guys any good, because they can't come up with additional info short of following you home. Set your alarm, don't leave anything in your car with your address on it (registration, proof of ins., etc.), and don't worry about the plate. Someone that we know recently went out to dinner at a slow, pricey restaurant. While enjoying a long, quiet meal someone else removed their registration and garage door opener from their car's glovebox, drove to the house, pulled into the garage, went inside and carefully removed all jewelry, computers, a Plasma wide screen and some art. Upon leaving they left the registration and door opener on a kitchen counter. Sheeeesh...
Which bring up the point that a good thief will get what they want if they want. Most good thieves will spend countless hours monitoring your habits, getting to know your neighborhood, etc. before making the move on you.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then I guess the F*&^%er's would have been in for a real treat when they met my 125 lbs. Rott just inside the back door!!! "Nice doggy, doggy!!!" Oh, Sh*t, Ralph, I don't think he likes us!!! Ralph? Raaaalllph!!!!
Old 06-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

'86: Without a doubt your bad-assed, bull in a china shop puppy serves the same purpose as our sleek, lithe, 70 lb. family German Shepherd, who doesn't have a problem with anybody, as long as we're around. If we're not around the bad guys better...

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 06-13-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:15 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Food for thought....wouldnt someone rather pay mid 20's for an SC in great shape than under 20 for a not so good 3.2? Not knocking 3.2's its just that I think you are under pricing your car. If I was in the market for a 3.2, I would pass on anything that was under 20 because in my mind it has something wrong with it. Does this make since? Owners need to direct the price of these cars where they should be.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
Food for thought....wouldnt someone rather pay mid 20's for an SC in great shape than under 20 for a not so good 3.2? Not knocking 3.2's its just that I think you are under pricing your car. If I was in the market for a 3.2, I would pass on anything that was under 20 because in my mind it has something wrong with it. Does this make since? Owners need to direct the price of these cars where they should be.
I actually always start at the bottom of the pricing structure and work my way up. A lot of people do the opposite. I think it makes the most sense to be somewhere in the middle, but then you have to prove a little extra value when compared to the next guy who's car is the same cost as yours.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:28 AM
mniba1
Instructor

Mid 20's for an SC? I bought a very nice white SC coupe last year for 11.8k with 80kmi and sold to my brother in law for 12.5...
Old 06-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Deals are still out there regarding SCs, but they are certainly not in every classified on every Sunday. The last few L.A. Times that I checked had no SCs, and that's the Porsche capital of the world. It takes $15K minimum in CA to even approach a decent SC, and nice ones have pushed their way into the high teens/low 20s. I'm looking at a coupe here in Bakersfield, blk/blk, 10-foot paint, workable interior, broken trans, no Carrera tensioners, 147K miles, and he's firm at $8K. Talk about your $20K SC! An '83 Cab was advertised recently for $19K, clean, chrome alloys, 180K miles, and it sold. The newest edition of "Cars That Matter" give a range for 3.2s w/915 between $16,700 (good #3 driver) to $25,300 (excellent #2 car capable of winning a local show). The same range for G 50 coupes is $18K (#3) to $27K (#2). Targa pricing is slightly higher, and Cabs are a little more than Targas.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:57 AM
mniba1
Instructor

Great stuff, thank you Peter!

Quick Reply: 911 Values