Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007 | 10:24 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default June Excellence SC weight

Another question from Excellence June issue concerning a 993 powered impact bumpered SC. The car alledgedly weighs 2230 pounds. My nearly gutted, 993 engined Euro SC is 2493 empty. Both cars have a similar aftermarket sunroof delete option. My car retains the impact bumpers, while the car in the article either does not have impact bumpers, or has fiberglass covers over them. My cage added about 110 pounds to the car. It is clear from the pictures that the Excellence car has weight added in the creature comfort area. I do not understand where the 150 pound loss came from. Do the aluminum bumpers and hardware weigh that much?

The article clearly says impact-bumper 911 weighing in at a scant 2,230 pounds.
Obviously I am looking for ways to shed weight.
Edited to add -- both my car and the Excellence car do not have Sunroof (and associated bits) or AC. My car has no headliner, carpets, or insulation.

Last edited by Alan Herod; 06-05-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2007 | 10:48 PM
DARISC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, the manual for my 82SC RoW (has sunroof, turbo "tea tray", no AC) lists curb weight at 2558lbs/1160kg.
Old 06-06-2007 | 10:59 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 525 Posts

Im very curious as to what my car wieghs.....Interioir is pretty much gutted, All AC components removed, seats are corbeau ( dont like em but thats what came with the car), front fenders, hood and front bumper are fiberglass, with a 3.2L sitting in the back...car is an 82.
Old 06-06-2007 | 11:15 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 409 Posts

First I would take weight #s like hp #s w/ a grain of salt.
When I removed tge stock Al. bumpers and valances from my car there was a remarkable difference in the feel of the car

here are the weights I got from a bathroom scale
Front Al bumper 17lbs
Front valance w/ fogs 13lbs
Rear Al bumper w/ valance 24lbs
The non-hyd. shock mounts are not included in the above because I retained them for a set of nerf bars under the replacement f/g bunmper covers.

On electronic corner balance scales my '76 C3 targa w/ 993 engine and SC/RS al. case trans w/ lsd and heavier 993RS brakes comes in at 2687 w/ full tank, tools and spare.
Old 06-06-2007 | 02:55 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Factory weights are of a no-option car (not even what are called 'standard options,' like a sunroof) with a full tank of gas, all fluids and no occupants. People often weigh their cars with no gas in the tank. 20 gallons of gas weigh over 100 pounds.

Did the Excellence car have a full cage?

My stripped-down, all-fiberglass-except-the-roof 1972 911 weighs 2440 pounds. Stock was 2350. I have a cage, bigger wheels and bigger brakes, but also race seats, some Lexan, rear seat delete, and a lot of other weight saving tricks. I'm still heavy.
Old 06-06-2007 | 03:12 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I thought it was with 1/2 tank of gas which doesn't make any sense; but my car would not make the specified weight with all the 'deletes' and weight saving things. I weigh my car with a full tank of gas and subtract the weight of the gas to get dry weight and for consistency. The scales at my local recycling center were within 10 pounds of the certified scales at the track.

Excellence car did not have a cage.
Old 06-06-2007 | 03:18 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Every scale out there claims to be certified. I got three very different weights on three different local scales one day. Usually, I would think the scales need to be accurate for differences (loaded/unloaded).

I assume factory weights include the spare tire and jack, but don't know for sure. Certainly, these are usually taken out by guys looking to hit a low weight. But savings from fiberglass hood, bumpers, battery, rear glass -- those add up.

Still, I'm heavy.
Old 06-06-2007 | 07:33 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

My 78 SC weighed in at 2250 lbs when it was recently corner balanced. That's with a 1/4 tank of gas and no driver. Off the top of my head, the car has had the following things done:
1. Fiberglass bumpers, wheel flares, hood, engine cover.
2. Removal of:
a. Bumper shocks
b. Air conditioner and all associated accessories
c. Inner door skins
d. Side glass and associated crank mechanism
c. Inner roof
d. Sun roof
e. Seats
f. Sound proofing
g. Rear/quarter window glass replaced with plastic
h. Torsion bars
j. Stock exhaust replaced

3. Added weight:
a. 18" wheels and tires
b. 930 brakes with larger rotors
c. Multi-point cage

I was very surprised by the final weight. It was done at a well respected local shop though.
Old 06-07-2007 | 12:03 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Bill absolutely love the royal blue....car looks beautiful!!!

My plans for the car.....
Fiberglass rear bumper
Full cage or maybe half cage (depending on cash on hand)
RS Doors INT.
New seats...maybe some sparco's

We have portable truck weights at work....that are cert. by the state. probably not super accurate but Id like to see what the car weighs now. I'm sure the 3.2 added a bit of weight as did the turbo brakes, I have a single out aftermarket exhaust and test pipes, that probably saved a few pounds, as of now the car is very tossable and moves when on it even though I havent really gotten to give the car a workout yet. We will see.
Old 06-07-2007 | 12:34 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about your area, but in most states in the south, you can go to the garbage dump and weigh your vehicle with you in it.
Old 06-07-2007 | 02:19 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I went to the landfill with a full tank of gas, they are set up to weigh your car going in and out, and charge you by the pound. Their scales were very close to the scales that were certified for club race(also electronic corner balance scales). Interestingly, as others have commented, certified scales vary, worse, results don't seem to repeatable. I must have weighed the car five times at the track, pushing it on and off the scales (no fuel was consumed), and the results were close, but different each time.
Old 06-07-2007 | 02:59 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Acid dip.

Steve
64 356C race.
Old 06-07-2007 | 07:20 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

My wt. compilation may help. Also read the old Excellnce article on Jim Calzia's car, & see his wt. data (cited in my word doc).

Good Luck.
Old 06-08-2007 | 06:21 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

I received some advice a while back from Walt Fricke: Don't remove the bumpers, especially if you are club racing or D.E.ing. The weight-savings won't matter that much if your car encounters another car, a tire barrier, or Armco. Those 5 mph bumpers may save you significant costs of fender, houd/lid, and tub damage.

Data point: my SC weighs 2660 w/o driver and 1/2 tank of fuel. Front valence and whale tail are fiberglass, AC is gone, exhaust is headers and Monty, rear seats are out, front seats are Recaro Speeds, and it has a Das Sport race roll bar. I think I will easily make weight for G-class (2700 w/ driver) once I remove the sunroof and all related parts, winshield washer tank, radio/boat-anchor-amp/speakers, and a couple of other ods and ends, plus real race seats. I'd really like to ditch the rear interior and install an RS carpet kit, but I have heard that that is not legal in G-class stock.
Old 06-08-2007 | 06:24 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

I just hate the stupid big rubber bumpers....got rid of them front and back on the 944..when I had it..

Quick Reply: June Excellence SC weight